When does it happen???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

jttheclockman

I was working on a cigar pen today and it probably is about my 5th one I did and I am still tweaking the shape. So when is it that a shape you like kick in on these different kits???? Just can't seem to find it yet on the cigar and you would think that was a simple one. All you long time pen turners, are you still finding yourself tweaking a shape on a pen kit or does it lock in once you see it??? I know shapes are subjective but it is in your mind what you think it should look like I would think. It has to be in there somewhere. I do need to try these out on some cheap wood I have. gets expensive using acrylic blanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
John,

Most people can visually perceive minute' differences yet are not aware that they can - unless pointed out or compared. That brings me to this pen:
http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/940/1_Best_pen.jpg

It has the shape that I have done many times, but none look as good as that one. The largest point, location of the largest diameter, and the angle are critical to "eye pleasing" to me. Being off by minute' details alter the perception considerably on that one as well as some other pens. However, some pen shapes seem more forgiving and look good and balanced in several variations of similar design. IMHO.

skywizzard

John, as a new pen turner I feel you pain. I too am still searching...
Hank, that pen is beautiful. I agree the lines are very pleasing.

JimB

I don't really do much in the way of 'shaping' as i prefer the cleaner lines. I do agree with Hank about the very, very slight differences in the pens that are the "same". I usually don't notice these until I have assembled the pen. I also don't let it worry me. That is part of them being hand crafted.

Russianwolf

I'll start by saying I'm no Yoyospin. HE does shapes that really catch the eye that I would never even consider.

For the Cigar, I go plain vanilla.

Attachments

• 010902.jpg
    010902.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 180

jttheclockman

I just realized I may have posted this in the wrong place. Hopefully Curtis will move it. One of these days I am going to get it right.

Hank that is a great looking pen and the added extras bring it out even more so. That is the way I like to do Sierras, just a tad bit of flowing hump to it. My eye does pick up the slight bit of difference in my shapes but I feel if I can lock in one I can hold onto it.My cigars the bottom is fine but the top because of such a big difference in bushing sizes for the bottom and top piece of the cap it is hard to get a nice flow. I will keep plugging at it. Thanks for the replys.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I will add that I made a cigar that was straight from bushing to bushing and did not like it at all. I also did not like another in which I started the curves too close to the bushing end. Gentle curves in the right place are not noticed as much - as when they are in the wrong place or too close to the bushings. IMHO.

Russianwolf

Oh yeah, I made one straight b2b once. Once!

The one above, the sides are even with the largest bushing all the way from end to end, then trimmed down in a nice curve to the smaller bushing.

Curving outwards from the large bushing doesn't work for me either on these.

jttheclockman

Just to give you an idea of what I am talking about here is the latest cigar that I am not happy with. What do you think??? I know my photography needs work but that is something I will work on at a later date. Have so much on my plate right now. Looking for critiques. Thanks.

cigarpen-1.jpg

dntrost

JT,
I like the shape of the bottom of pen but for me the top looks good if you keep the same diameter as the lower bushing most of the way up the top then just roll it over to match top bushing.

jttheclockman

Ken your shape is almost the same as what I have from what I can see.

Dion I agree with your concept in shape.

Woody I remember when you posted that pen and that blank and the finish are second to none. That is a top notch pen. The color in that blank is so deep.

I will continue to work on it.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Here is the shape i usually use.

Ken,

I have not seen some of your pens before. I need to get my head out of the sand. There is a balance that is just right in segments that really make a pens stand out and you have achieved that on several as well as the one in your post above. I have done a few like that and true to this thread, there is something about just the right shape and or balance in segments that make it stand out even more than just the colors alone.

I like your pens.

workinforwood

The one you posted works fine for me. That's about how I want it. Some people like to curve the upper barrel inwards, and if you do that, the clip doesn't work well. I do not like it to be too fat and pregnant. It's a pen, not Lucille Ball.

bitshird

JT, I like the bottom, but if you'll notice where the top of the lower tube contracts the center coupler, this is a very hard spot to get just right, to really get the shape, you have to under turn it just a bout .010 to let that radius of the coupler show, I do like the shape of your lower tube, but I like just a little bit of very gentle bulge on the top near the center, and blend into the finial, but yours is a nice looking pen for certain,

jttheclockman

You are right Ken. There is just something in the top part that is not quite to my liking and will have to try your idea on the next one. I will keep tweaking. It is in there somewhere. Thanks everyone for the ideas and the comments.

Top Bottom