What's your most creative Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Minotbob

gawdelpus

Passed Away May 11, 2015
In Memoriam
I finished this a couple of days ago for a client ,not in the same league as most already shown in this thread ,but apart from one I made with "chicken drumsticks " this is my contribution :)

golf2.jpg

Cheers ~ John :)

Phunky_2003

Toni,

Those are some of the cutiest and most unique pens I have seen. They are different, that Dalmation doggie one is really cool. Reminds me of my first dog. He was quite the goofball. You do some very nice work. Most of the time I see your work, I have to wait and look several times before commenting because I am just flabborgasted at the work you do.

Impressive!

Toni

Those are some of the cutiest and most unique pens I have seen. They are different, that Dalmation doggie one is really cool. Reminds me of my first dog. He was quite the goofball. You do some very nice work. Most of the time I see your work, I have to wait and look several times before commenting because I am just flabborgasted at the work you do.

They made GREAT teachers gifts and not expensive at all!! The teacher that got the Dalmation pen lived down the street from us, so I knew her and her dog real well, great dogs!! Thank you for the complements I also have a turtle pen as well head comes out of the shell and its the pen..

Rfturner

I finished this a couple of days ago for a client ,not in the same league as most already shown in this thread ,but apart from one I made with "chicken drumsticks " this is my contribution :)

golf2.jpg

Cheers ~ John :)

Next time if your take a golf ball and drill it out it will make a nice stand just flaten the bottom or drill and use a peg to hold it onto a base

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I guess this one would considered my most "Creative". It is a copper pot scrubber cast in clear PR with the hole painted black.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I just wish that they had the Sierra Vista style when I made this. It is a little too "pregnant" for my tastes.

Attachments

• scrubber-pen1.jpg
    scrubber-pen1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,075
  • scrubber-pen2.jpg
    scrubber-pen2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,058

PaulDoug

WOW! There is some great stuff here. These are not very creative ones but I'm not a very creative person. The first is the most difficult one for me to turn because of the two different hardness' of the materials. Cork and mesquite. The second one was made from black pvc pipe. I scroll sawed the bats and filled with epoxy and paint.

Attachments

• ssPen 37 -3 8-2008.JPG
    ssPen 37 -3 8-2008.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 316
  • pen 47-2  10-2008s.jpg
    pen 47-2 10-2008s.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:

MartinPens

Creative Himalayan Pen

It's not my favorite pen, but it did have a lot of creative juices involved in making it.

African Blackwood. Slimline kit. Silk threads from a Himalayan shop. Brass lotus flower buttons from Napal shop.

Attachments

• Nepal01.jpg
    Nepal01.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 289

jimbob91577

WOW! There is some great stuff here. These is not a very creative ones but I'm not a very creative person. The first is the most difficult one for me to turn because of the two different hardness' of the materials. Cork and mesquite. The second one was made from black pvc pipe. I scroll sawed the bats and filled with epoxy and paint.

Was the cork in general hard to drill out and turn? Did you have to stabilize it with CA or something to keep it from deteriorating when you drilled it out?

PaulDoug

Was the cork in general hard to drill out and turn? Did you have to stabilize it with CA or something to keep it from deteriorating when you drilled it out?

Not hard to drill, I used a Brad point bit. As you can guess from the picture I used wine bottle corks. Just drill about 1/8" at a time and clear. These were wine bottle corks and some 100 year old wine barrel stays. Really smell good while turning. Made for my neighbors that own a winery.

Attachments

• Pen 50-53 53 not shown 10-2008 S.JPG
    Pen 50-53 53 not shown 10-2008 S.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:

rebelgal1

I am very interested in how u did this, I have just got started with the pr,and love all the things that can be done with it...... thanks sandy

jttheclockman

I am very interested in how u did this, I have just got started with the pr,and love all the things that can be done with it...... thanks sandy

Do what????? If you are talking about casting objects in blanks, look in the library for articles about casting or post your questions in the casting forum. Will get more responses.

WOW you guys and gals!!!! You just baffle me with your knowledge and ability to create such designs.....wonderful work...keep it up!!!!

Last edited:
late entry

A gift for the dad who has everything from his son whom I work with at the fire department. A wine cork and oak from the family winery.

Thanks for looking,
Brian

Attachments

• IMG_2327 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2327 (Medium).JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 306

PenMan1

This one might be mine. Spiral cut Olivewood in a titanium desk set. The base is weighted and the barrel is splined to spin when the pen is set in the base.

Some day, I will own this pen! I may have to do a "papa John" and track it down and buy it, but I LOVE THIS PEN!!!!!!!

bobalouie76

100+ year old Hickory from a Ford Model A

Although hickory is a fairly bland wood... the history behind these is hard to overlook. Made for my grandfather who restores and collects antique cars including a number of Ford Model A & T's, these pens are made from original spokes from these pieces of American history. Since this is supposed to be my most "creative" pen to date, I guess the wood type doesnt really matter.

Matt

Attachments

• phpKaxOTePM.jpg
    phpKaxOTePM.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 202
  • phpKVibHGPM.jpg
    phpKVibHGPM.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 147
  • php65iCvfPM.jpg
    php65iCvfPM.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 188
Man there are some cool pens in this post. That Pentel is great. I have to add another so I apologize. The sports pens were cool, but I think my last was my most creative and biggest achievement yet.

4658659016_7f323c48ce_b.jpg

Last edited:
I think the material is what makes this pen my most creative. The body of the pen is made from a spollete, which is a simple type of fuse used in fireworks and is made from tightly wrapped paper. It was turned using a skew chisel, lightly sanded and finished with CA.

Attachments

• spollete-pen.jpg
    spollete-pen.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 249

phillywood

Well, Ladies and gents. I haven't even truned a pen yet, but you guys making me drwel. And, honestly, I am not sure that I can even keep up. probably when I start out you guys are gonne laugh in the back ground and not even express it here.

its_virgil

Other than the pens I make with blanks I cast I suppose I have two favorites I would place in this category. Pictures follow and I think they are self explanatory. If not, ask and I will answer.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• gavel pen.jpg
    gavel pen.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 195
  • blue and purple.JPG
    blue and purple.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 267

darrin1200

Don those pens are awesome.

That halequin pattern is great. It looks like you turned 2 blanks to shape then cut out the diamonds and reglued on a tube. If this is the case, how in the heck did you cut them so exact. If thats not how you did it, could you give me a clue. I would love to try something like that.

Darrin

its_virgil

Thanks Darrin. That is exactly now it was done. I did not cut the diamond pieces myself. I drilled and preturned the blue and purple blanks and sent them to Ken Nelsen at http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com and he cut the pieces for me. I then glued the diamonds to the tube and finished turning the pen. Contact Ken if you want to do one and I'm sure he will help you out. Mention this pen and he will remember...he probably will anyway. We had fun figuring out how to best do this. The pen was a special request from a customer. I will be doing more of these in other colors.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

quote=darrin1200;1038874]Don those pens are awesome.

That halequin pattern is great. It looks like you turned 2 blanks to shape then cut out the diamonds and reglued on a tube. If this is the case, how in the heck did you cut them so exact. If thats not how you did it, could you give me a clue. I would love to try something like that.

Darrin[/quote]

Drstrangefart

This one has been shown a couple of times now, but is the most creative of my pens. I wanted to use a table saw instead of a bandsaw to make a super thick celtic knot, and the Colorply looked like it was gonna be good for the job. I did the turning after he walked me through installing the knot into the blank. We both worked on the CA finish.
attachment.php

Top Bottom