What's wrong with this pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CSue

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I've seen this on the edges of a few of the pens I've done. I would really like to "get over this!" What's wrong where the yellow arrows point to?

And just so you know some DO come out right, Bethlehem Olive wood Slimline

So what'd'ya think?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
cant tell for sure, but it looks like you chipped out or your bushings are worn and you turned to deeply. If anything, keep the wood proud of the fittings and sand the last bit of material
off til you get the hang of matching the tool turning to the bushings.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I would say that the hole for the tube was a little too large and the yellow arrows point to where you turned/sanded through the wood which reveals the glue.

If you use the correct size bit, you might want to check for "run out"* on the drill press, which will cause the slightly larger hole than the drill bit itself. Some woods are more prone to exaggerating the hole than others. Another reason could be drilling too fast or too much at a time.

*"Run out* on a drill press means that with a bit in the chuck, the bit "wobbles" too much.

jedgerton

I've had this happen when my tools were dull. A little too much pressure to make the tool cut down to the bushing's dimension was my problem. Are you keeping your tools sharp?

John

JimGo

Some have referred to those as "finish rings", IIRC. When it happens to <s>me</s> my friend, it seems to be where the wood is slightly under size at the bushings, and the sandpaper and tools can't quite get in there the way they otherwise would/should. As a result, the part close to the bushing gets an early, sloppy coat of CA, and the rest just builds from there, whereas the rest of the pen is properly sanded and finished.

ctwxlvr

I had the same thing happen to a sassafras slimline pen, for me it was when I buffed it it took the finish and some wood from the edge of the pen like in her photo.

exoticwo

I would have to argee with Hank Lee.
His explanation of how this happens is correct in my experience. Another way to stop this from happening is to allow a little extra length on your blanks and after glueing barrels just trim the ends down. Keeping the drill bits sharp and with the correct profile will also help.

cozee

Yep, agree with Hank and Al. The final end even looks as though you hah a bit of a blow out. Cut the blanks longer than you need, keep your DP "tuned" up, and be sure your bits are straight and sharp. A simple test for straightness is to roll the bit on a piece of glass.

Mikey

I also agree that the hole was too large and that the glue/paint is now showing. I had this phappen on TWO pens this weekend. Thank goodness I just toss the blanks aside and start over.

wudnhed

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Some have referred to those as "finish rings", IIRC. When it happens to <s>me</s> my friend, it seems to be where the wood is slightly under size at the bushings, and the sandpaper and tools can't quite get in there the way they otherwise would/should. As a result, the part close to the bushing gets an early, sloppy coat of CA, and the rest just builds from there, whereas the rest of the pen is properly sanded and finished.

What he said! Been there done that[:p]

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Okay, A number of things you all mentioned, I figure, are the culprits. I don't know how often one should sharpen the tools.
The other thing is that it seems to happen more when I try to do an actual slim Slimline. (I don't know how many times I've wanted to write "Slimline.") As you can see in the Olivewood, not a problem. In those times, JimGo's FRIEND'S problem seems to be most of what I do.

So, how often do you sharpen the tools? And how often do you sharpen or replace drill bits?

Cathy Sue

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Cathy,

No one ever ruined a blank because their tools were TOO sharp. What tool are you using? How large is the blank you started with? (A 7/8" blank, turned to a slimline can take a couple "sharpenings".) A scraper can require sharpening every 15 seconds, if I am using it - I am NOT a scraper-person, but I CAN dull them quickly!

When in doubt, sharpen.

Drill bits are easier. If you see the hole is not cleanly cut, your bit is duller than it needs to be. A dull bit can easily leave the hole a little wider at the entry point -and you can sometimes SEE the wobble. Harbor Freight bits are cheap - buy a couple sets and change. If you know how to sharpen bits, do so occasionally. But, mostly, watch your results - clean holes are GOOD, expanded holes are BAD!

HAVE FUN!!!!![:D][:D][:D] It's ONLY a pen!

hilltopper46

One thing you should know about that particular kit is that the fittings are SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than the bushings that are sized for it. From CSUSA this pen is called the Presidential and it uses a standard sized bushing on the end which leaves it SIGNIFICANTLY underturned. I ended up with places like the ones you are showing because I took a sharp pen knife and peeled the edge of the barrel off to make it match the diameter of the nib.

http://www.omanopa.com/Pen116.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom