What's the second wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CSue

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I finally made a couple of those "Click pens" from LauLauWoods.

First is Cocobolo and the second, well, you tell me.

Attachments

• Two Click Pens.JPG
    Two Click Pens.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 362
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Very Nice! If the colors on my monitor are accurate, I would guess Canarywood. ( A light yellow straw color with a redish grain.) After seeing the a couple lower posts I went and looked at my tulip wood and would have to say if its not yellow like canary wood, its probably my tulip wood.

Last edited:

junosdad

Fm here...

it looks like tulip wood.

That said, I have some madrona that has reddish streaks like that.

More likely the former.

Sam

Russianwolf

If it had a sweet smell while turning it, and a oily feel similar to the cocolobo, then almost definitely Tulipwood as they are both members of the Rosewood Family (Dalbergia)

THarvey

I have both Canarywood and Tulipwood in my bins that look similar to your picture.

Tulipwood has a tighter grain fibre than the Canarywood. It is hard to see the tightness in the picture.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I have both Canarywood and Tulipwood in my bins that look similar to your picture.

Tulipwood has a tighter grain fibre than the Canarywood. It is hard to see the tightness in the picture.

You betcha!

And I would have been with all you "tulipwood" people had I not purchased the wood myself. (Ha!)

It is Canarywood!

It has a sweeter smell that Tulipwood, actually. The grain fibre is not as dense, the wood has much less weight. But - except for that good eye that caught the yellow coloring - another key difference - it appears like Tulipwood.

I have searched long and hard for this quality of Canarywood. And I'm giving this pen to the gentleman who led me to it.

JohnU and THarvey, if you want a piece, pm me.

JohnU

You betcha!

And I would have been with all you "tulipwood" people had I not purchased the wood myself. (Ha!)

It is Canarywood!

JohnU and THarvey, if you want a piece, pm me.

LOL, CSue, I was just goint to offer you a piece of both so you could see what best matches your pen. I appreciate your offer, but Ive had a large board of it for the past year Im still trying to use up. (lol) thank you.

bad

OK, I just went and compared the two pens. The Canarywood has more of a brown colour to it with a red grain. The Tulipwood has more of a yellow colour and a red grain. With that said, I have to change my vote to Tulipwood.

JohnU

Sue, I'll take your word for it, but that looks exactly like the Tulip I have in my shop, My canary is more brownish.

I have found that Canary wood will turn darker over time. It comes out real nice and bright inside but unfortunately like cocobolo or Osage it will darken with time.

Ligget

Cathy I know you now have the answer but it does look like a piece of Australian Soapwood that I purchased from an IAP member in a Australian woods offer.

Those are two beautiful click pens by the way!

Last edited:

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Okay, ya'all, here is a photo I just took of my piece of Tulipwood on the left and the larger piece of Canarywood on the right. The dark lines in the canarywood appear to be a brownish red. This is the first piece of canarywood I've seen to have so much red grain lending to the appearance of Tulipwood when finished. This remaining piece is 2"x8" and the strong red grain is throughout lengthwise. For me, its one of the most remarkable pieces of canarywood I've ever seen. As it ages, it will reveal many shades of yellow, deeper red and maybe some shade of purple off the red grain.

Thank for checking out my "teaser."

And I'm glad you like the pens. I guess now I need to make a Tulipwood Click Pen.:redface:

JohnU, I've found canarywood's colors stay more vibrant if its treated to sunlight every once in a while just like Purpleheart.

Top Bottom