What's a Master Scroller?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Jeff "workinforwood" Powell is a Master Scroller. This pen, from his blank, is proof positive!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks for looking and particularly to those who leave a comment!

Last edited:

mick

Lou, that's one fantastic looking pen! As always you've created a work of art. Jeff's work on the blank is awe inspiring!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It is BEAUTIFUL work by both you and Jeff.

Brings to mind a title of "Falling Leaves", but that would encourage the purchaser to DROP it, which might not work out well.

So, maybe "Leave it (on my desk)!!!" might work.

Woodlvr

Great work you guys. I wish that my scroll saw would cut stuff that beautiful, it is the machines fault, not mine.:redface::)

workinforwood

Looks really good Lou. Great finish and photography. I'm very happy it worked out for you.

Randy..the answer would be no. Each leaf is completely different because they are hand cut and of different woods and as you turn the pen a new leaf is constantly revealed. It is completely random and no blank is ever the same as the last. The acrylic is semi-solid so you can't see all the way through it but you can see through it enough to see part of the side walls of the leaves, which makes it more interesting and proves to the viewer that each leaf is a cut out of solid wood, not a laser inlay.

Randy_

OK, Jeff, thanks I had a completely different idea of how that blank was created.....assumed it was a wood blank with inlays. From your comment, am I correct in understanding that you cut a bunch of different leaf shapes out of wood and then cast them in acrylic?

Clever idea and very nice result!!

workinforwood

OK, Jeff, thanks I had a completely different idea of how that blank was created.....assumed it was a wood blank with inlays. From your comment, am I correct in understanding that you cut a bunch of different leaf shapes out of wood and then cast them in acrylic?

Clever idea and very nice result!!

Not exactly, but close. There will be a tutorial published in Creative Woodworks and Crafts Magazine in about 8 months time. It will feature this exact pen. The leaves are random and they are not at the same time. I randomly decide where to put them. The technique is all that matters, what you put on the pen is limited only by imagination. The new space odessey, Lou has one of those, and it is the exact same type of pen scrolling as this is. I decide where the ship, the stars and everything else will go, but there is no limit as far as direction around the pen, unlike a fret sawn pen blank. Maybe some can already figure out how to do it, and maybe not, but I can't betray my publisher and tell you exactly how I do it as that wouldn't be very nice of me and I want to publish more things in the future.

Lou didn't show you he has a matching box too.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Not exactly, but close. There will be a tutorial published in Creative Woodworks and Crafts Magazine in about 8 months time. It will feature this exact pen. The leaves are random and they are not at the same time. I randomly decide where to put them. The technique is all that matters, what you put on the pen is limited only by imagination. The new space odessey, Lou has one of those, and it is the exact same type of pen scrolling as this is. I decide where the ship, the stars and everything else will go, but there is no limit as far as direction around the pen, unlike a fret sawn pen blank. Maybe some can already figure out how to do it, and maybe not, but I can't betray my publisher and tell you exactly how I do it as that wouldn't be very nice of me and I want to publish more things in the future.

Lou didn't show you he has a matching box too.

Arggg!!!! 8 MONTHS --- YOU are going to come back and remind us so we can go buy the magazine, RIGHT??!!!

jttheclockman

You actually dragged this out for two parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They must be paying you well. :present::bananen_smilies051:I have to talk to Robert.

workinforwood

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: yes, and the time to subscribe is right now, because next issue is my best issue, then after that is the set-up issue for the 2 part pen issues! It's a soap opera in print...we have to build up some suspense to help increase sales.

jttheclockman

Oh my goodness gracious. Thank God I already subscribe. The suspense will be killing. I think it is time to take the dust off the scrollsaw and see what I can make to put in that magazine. "As The Pen Turns" hows that for a title of the soap opera????????????:biggrin:

Top Bottom