What would any good pen turner do with an old pair of pants??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

149224_126664064060334_100001502242963_166585_4654765_n.jpg

I spent a lot longer than I planned getting the stacks glued together, and it was some tough material to turn. Got it, it did try to blow apart on the lathe, but I managed to keep it in one piece.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

As near as I dare in response to your constant challenge at the bottom of all your posts.

Twill weave its way at warp speed in the loom of life no longer walking but in a guided wobble.
Having been dezipped, cut, stacked, drilled and shaped by force for its recycled life waiting for the second leg to provide a pair.

Heaven help you when SWMBO discovers where her best Jeans went as you present her with this pen, only fair as you wanted something of hers to constantly remind you of her.

An expensive blank treated sympathetically.

Peter.

ctubbs

A very good loking pen. Congratulations.

As near as I dare in response to your constant challenge at the bottom of all your posts.

Twill weave its way at warp speed in the loom of life no longer walking but in a guided wobble.
Having been dezipped, cut, stacked, drilled and shaped by force for its recycled life waiting for the second leg to provide a pair.

Heaven help you when SWMBO discovers where her best Jeans went as you present her with this pen, only fair as you wanted something of hers to constantly remind you of her.

Peter.
It is good to finally find a kindred soul that can wax on better than I . :rolleyes::):biggrin:Thanks Peter.
Charles

Drstrangefart

Peter.

To be fair, they were my old jeans. Back pocket tore out, taking a hefty chunk of the seat with it. Ate up a TON of thin CA. Excellent prose, though.

Drstrangefart

So you cut the pieces, stacked and soaked with thin CA? No casting?

I might try that, it looks nice!

No casting. It's a tough material to turn and smokes a lot due to the excess friction. You gotta be thorough when you soak it with thin CA, and try to square it up on a belt sander or something before you hit it with the drill press. After that it acts a lot like an extremely tough acrylic.

Scooley01

This works with other materials too...I made a small block out of an old t-shirt today for 'proof of concept'. I just cut a long strip, and put a good blob of medium CA at one end, and made a small fold. Then I put a blob of CA on top of that fold and folded the other way (zig zag/accordion folding) and continued that way until the strip was folded into a bunch of little squares. The blank started smoking at one point, I'm assuming it was just because the CA was so hot...I'll make the full size blank tomorrow most likely...

Freethinker

This works with other materials too...I made a small block out of an old t-shirt today for 'proof of concept'. I just cut a long strip, and put a good blob of medium CA at one end, and made a small fold. Then I put a blob of CA on top of that fold and folded the other way (zig zag/accordion folding) and continued that way until the strip was folded into a bunch of little squares. The blank started smoking at one point, I'm assuming it was just because the CA was so hot...

Cotton fibers (and paper towels) are a catalyst for CA glue, they cause an exothermic reaction and the result is heat......I have had a few burnt fingers at times.....:eek:

Drstrangefart

This works with other materials too...I made a small block out of an old t-shirt today for 'proof of concept'. I just cut a long strip, and put a good blob of medium CA at one end, and made a small fold. Then I put a blob of CA on top of that fold and folded the other way (zig zag/accordion folding) and continued that way until the strip was folded into a bunch of little squares. The blank started smoking at one point, I'm assuming it was just because the CA was so hot...I'll make the full size blank tomorrow most likely...

Dude, not only did you get it right, you just made my system of doing stuff like that obsolete, I think. I had cut it all into little squares and glued them up one by one. Took all morning.

wizard

Allan, That is a very pretty and creative pen! I love the original profile of the pen. It looks very ergonomic! Great job. Regards, Doc

Drstrangefart

Allan, That is a very pretty and creative pen! I love the original profile of the pen. It looks very ergonomic! Great job. Regards, Doc

Thanks! The teardrop grip is a godsend for guys like me with huge overdeveloped gorilla hands. And I was supposed to be left-handed until public education and my stepdad forced me out of it, so I grip a pen kinda funny. I love that style of grip.

Scooley01

Well I was originally cutting squares, but I was doing it freehand and they weren't coming out even or neat, so I just figured they didn't really need to be cut on all 4 sides anyways. :)

I did have a couple mishaps during the process which resulted in my left hand getting sprayed with CA (!!) which is a bear to clean off even if you have a whole bottle of acetone :(

Drstrangefart

Well I was originally cutting squares, but I was doing it freehand and they weren't coming out even or neat, so I just figured they didn't really need to be cut on all 4 sides anyways. :)

I did have a couple mishaps during the process which resulted in my left hand getting sprayed with CA (!!) which is a bear to clean off even if you have a whole bottle of acetone :(

Yeah, all of my fingertips were covered in CA when I got done. One trick is to grab your razor, put an old blade in it and shave it off like hair under hot running water. It doesn't get EVERYTHING but it makes it a LOT cleaner. I work in landscaping, and when I wear leather gloves and work all day when I get home almost all of the CA is gone. Sweating also make it easy to peel off. I don't actually own any pure acetone believe it or not.

Scooley01

I bought a big bottle my first week turning because I superglued a thick layer onto my skin that drove me crazy. It's also proved helpful at various times when the CA is being naughty and not doing what I want.

Speaking of CA, I do have a question...what CA did you use? Because the stuff I use comes in 1oz bottles, and it took a bottle and a half to do a 2 inch segment of that! I'd rather have a larger bottle if they sell them somewhere...

Drstrangefart

I used thin CA to glue it all together. I imagine the T shirt material soaking up a TON of CA. Part of why I didn't make another one right on the heels of the first one. My CA comes from Woodcraft. Get the thick, medium and thin. The thin's the only one you'll NEED a huge bottle of. I go through about 10 times as much thin as medium. Thick is just for gluing tubes in, or really narrow focus uses, like making my own handle grips for my drill press. You can order all the CA you'd ever want online. Try getting one of those prepaid throwaway credit cards to shop online with. It someone lifts the card number, all you lose is like the two dollars left on it after you order.

Drstrangefart

Top Bottom