What type of wood is this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan26

Dan26

I bought a bag of blanks from Woodcraft a while back and I'm lousy at identifying the types of wood. Any help? It was real easy to turn and smells pretty good.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Slimline Cobalt  Gold Twist Pen - Unknown Wood.jpg
    Slimline Cobalt Gold Twist Pen - Unknown Wood.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 370
  • Unknown Wood.jpg
    Unknown Wood.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 266
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Super Dave

Dan, I also bought a bag of blanks from Woodcraft, and it had a few of those in it. They turn out real nice, it turned out to be a really good deal.

Dave

Dan26

After seeing some pics of Marblewood, I have to go with the B&W Ebony. When I drilled it, the smell was almost pleasant, definitely not like feet.

PenPal

Wood Identification

Over this way it could pass for Black Heart Sassafrass from Tasmania except the deeper brown in the main wood so yes it could be that Ebony. Neat pen suits the kit etc.

Regards Peter.

greggas

My vote is B & W Ebony. The dark grain is too black to be marble wood which normally has reddish/brown darker grain and certainly does not have a nice smell when turned.

ZanderPommo

smell coulda been just that piece for some reason, but it was so unpleasant it kept me from getting more to find out

sure looks like marblewood to me, but if it didn't smell probably b&w ebony. nice pen by the way!

Bree

That is not marblewood. It is Black and White Ebony. I have a great deal of both types of wood with much of it bought at Woodcraft. There is no doubt in my mind.

Its a great looking pen. That BW Ebony makes excellent pens if you get the right chunk of wood!!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
It is Macassar Ebony (Diospyrus celebica) also known as Indian Ebony, Black &White Ebony.

Occasionally a piece of some more exotic piece of wood may find its way into their grab bags. I've found some nice surprises a few times.

Marblewood rarely has that definitive black and "white." The grain is also has a tighter grain than Marblewood.

Dan26

Thanks everyone. I believe it's the ebony, but whatever it is I feel lucky because the grab bag has 3 more of these blanks in it. I think I'll save them for fatter pens to get more of the grain involved.

Top Bottom