What a monster!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

My first Gentleman's pen. Spalted Ash on Titanium RB hardware. Vacuum stabilized with plexi. My first attempt at spalted Ash was with poly and it literally crumbled apart when I tried to apply the finish. :( The blank gained significant weight and the smell of plastic was prominent when I redrilled, but it wasn't as plasticy (new word) as I thought it would be. Turned more like most any other wood, but it stayed together quite well. Only had to CA a few places. BLO/CA finish because by the time I got to MM 12000 it no longer had a wood feel. Very curious indeed, this plexi stabilization stuff.

20058255281_gent_spalt_ash1.jpg

And a view of it open for Dario... though not a very good one.

200582552948_gent_spalt_ash2.jpg

All comments and suggestions welcome as always. Yeah, I know, this one is rather unusual for me... it's B2B. [:p] Just couldn't visualize how it would look any bigger! [:I]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Nice pen Billy. I know it is big but compared to Jr Gent, how does it feel?

I have to try this plexi/acetone solution...I have lots more of that spalted Ash and looks like that piece really benefitted from the stabilization.

JimGo

Billy, don't feel bad about the B2B...that's typical for me for a first time with a kit. This looks really nice! I was surprised at how well balanced the pen is. I guess, since it is a non-posting cap, the weight is really just in the main barrel, which helps. I am trying to decide whether to switch to my Gent or another of my pens soon, just so I can give others feedback on how they write.

Congrats on the new kit!

woodscavenger

I think other than a simple curve it's hard to imagine the Gent/Statesman any different. I think they are such a pain to drill and get ready that I am never in a mood to experiment with another shape. One thing I haven't seen is and Ed version. Where are you Ed?

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />I think other than a simple curve it's hard to imagine the Gent/Statesman any different. I think they are such a pain to drill and get ready that I am never in a mood to experiment with another shape. One thing I haven't seen is and Ed version. Where are you Ed?

What makes them "such a pain" to drill? Are they more difficult than a Baron, which, in my opinion, is pretty straightforward except that it requires two different sizes when drilling.

alamocdc

Thanks, guys! Frank, while I can't answer for Shane, he may be referring to the large bits necessary and the challenge of squaring the ends of the blanks. The bit required for the cap is as big as most of the pens I'd made to this point and it looks rather ominous. [:p] I had to turn a pen mill bushing for it as well, only to realize that my 5/8 inch pen mill isn't big enough. [:0] Luckily I was able to square this one on my disk sander... something I'm not that thrilled about. If the blank had been perfectly square and if I had one of those self-centering drilling jigs and if... the list goes on. Even drilling it on the lathe wouldn't have solved many of those issues. I have one glued up in Amboyna burl that I intend to try tonight and I hope it goes as well. Looks like a new pen mill is next on the list. [;)]

Dario

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />I had to turn a pen mill bushing for it as well, only to realize that my 5/8 inch pen mill isn't big enough. [:0]

You lost me here. You mean the regular pen mill...even if you make an adapter won't work? It is that big? [:0]

alamocdc

Dario, the tube is 37/64", just under 5/8" (40/64"). This gives you 1.5/64" (3/64" total difference divided by 2) of trim outside the tube all the way around and is not nearly enough to properly seat the turning bushings.

Dario

Thanks guys, I did understood Billy...just didn't know that there is a bigger mill head too. These manufacturers really love selling us different tools. As if we are not spending enough yet! [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom