What might Skippy do?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

workinforwood

This is my very first ever metal lathe pen!!! I'm so excited about it, I almost pee'd myself :redface:. Yes, I know it's another flame pen, but it's just because it is what I had next to me at the time. I love the cap and the pen although when they are put together they seem a little off balance, but that aspect is kinda growing on me as I stare at it awhile. I had a vision and this isn't quite it, but I was really just playing around and working off the cuff. I don't have any sort of system as to how to do things at the moment. I did use the Jackson thread a rod and make a tap system. The threads are good and tight, although they are just a teeny bit sharp because I do not have the proper tooling for .75 threads but I did order the proper cutters for that. I did sand the threads gently so as not to cut someone and that did work well. The parts are aluminum. I used an entire 12" rod and it took me about 12 hrs to make this pen. Alot of the aluminum rod of course is on the floor in shavings :biggrin:. There are no tubes in this pen. With the cap it is easily an inch longer than a Jr Gent. But the weight of the pen is considerably less than a Jr Gent. I'm shocked to, that the "on the fly" design of this pen is incredibly comfortable in the hands! The nib is from Lou.

I have to really thank certain people for this pen too!

Started with the Cat. Thank you so much for helping me with upgrading my machine with the QTCP and the collet chuck. That 5C collet chuck is the bomb!

Then there was the Rat. I pm'd him and that is how the whole "how to make a metal parts pen" threads started..as he was gracious enough to bless me with a couple posts on how he makes things happen.

Finally, there's the Captain. He sacrificed a day and drove nearly 90 miles to give me a couple hour crash course on how to use my machine. It answered so many questions and I learned things about my machine that I didn't know it could do, as well as showing me some safety and maintenance tips. You can't put a value on that 3 hrs or so!!!

I DID IT AND IT WAS TOO FUN!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Attachments

• P1080202.JPG
    P1080202.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 419
  • P1080203.JPG
    P1080203.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 323
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Bloomin' heck!!!! :eek: Didn't anyone tell you that the first one was supposed to be crappy??? That is just way too cool for a novice!!!!
VERY WELL DONE JEFF !!!! You have every reason to be proud of yourself!!:biggrin::good::good::good:

lorbay

Jeff what are you sanding your aluminum to and are you putting any finish on it.???

Lin.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
That looks great Jeff. You sure you ain't sandbagging us:rolleyes: Looks fantastic for a first. But then again, you are one talented guy!!:biggrin:

workinforwood

Jeff what are you sanding your aluminum to and are you putting any finish on it.???

Lin.

I always just wet sand it with MM to 6000 then use plastic polish. There's no need to put a finish on it that will just wear off eventually. That's the whole point of it all..no finish, no platings, no coatings..the buyer/user can get himself a rag and some cleaner.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Welcome to the dark side. Life will never be the same. Its a real beauty. Now think of all the money you can save by not buying any more kits.

CaptG

Way to go Jeff. I see you were paying attention to the metal lathe instructions. You made one great looking pen for a first try, or a second or third for that matter, but after seeing all your work when I was there, I am not surprised. Can not wait to see what you do next.

Papa Bear

Great looking pen!I'm rebuilding a southbend light 10 now and can't wat to get it finish to start playing around,all I need is a tailstock.

akbar24601

Great job Jeff! I don't blame you for being excited, I was getting excited just reading about it!!! I cannot wait to see what you turn out in the future. You certainly had some wonderful help. Keep it up!

altaciii

Jeff, you did a great job for youe first on the metal lathe. I haven't set aside the time to play more seriously with mine. Looks like I'm gonna have to make the time to try and play catchup.

Top Bottom