What kind of wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from timdaleiden

Status
Not open for further replies.

timdaleiden

Just posted a new picture, and since Jeff added the Album Link thing next to my post, I don't have to add a link. Nice work Jeff.

If you guess what kind of wood I used to make this pen, I hear Jeff and Scott will reward you with a brand new Corvette.

(BTW, Scott and Jeff, you may need to cough up a new car for this:))

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

txbob

Hi Tim,
The wood is Red Palm cut at an angle. Compare it to BB's picture at http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Pen_Blank_Images_2.htm

Either red or white will be ok on the Corvette.

Bob S. (txbob)

timdaleiden

Originally posted by txbob
<br />Hi Tim,
The wood is Red Palm cut at an angle. Compare it to BB's picture at http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Pen_Blank_Images_2.htm

Either red or white will be ok on the Corvette.

Bob S. (txbob)

Nope, It's not Red Palm cut at an angle. No Car for you today.

timdaleiden

Originally posted by kennosborne
<br />Wow that is some pretty stuff. Is it tiger striped padauk? Some sort of dyed maple? Whatever it is ... I want some [:)] The grain pattern is beautiful!!

Nice try. I may just send somebody a blank if they can guess it. Since I buy the wood by the board foot, it wouldn't cost me much more than the postage. Try as many times as you like.[:D]

Daniel

Figured African Bubinga???
Actually I have no idea but that's as good a guess as any.
nice looking wood though. and I like the effect you used with the grain.

timdaleiden

Originally posted by Daniel
<br />Figured African Bubinga???
Actually I have no idea but that's as good a guess as any.
nice looking wood though. and I like the effect you used with the grain.

Not Bubinga either. Thanks for the compliment. I like the fact that I can just twist the barrel so the grain lines up, and it has a totally different look to it. No Corvette or free blank for you. [:(]

timdaleiden

Originally posted by kennosborne
<br />This is my last guess [:)] Curly Jarrah?

I feel so sorry for all the people that are trying to figure
this out. I will give a hint. This wood comes from a tree that grows somewhere in the World.

Come on, there may be a free blank in it for you. [:)]

Scott

I was just going to guess that!

;-)

I keep going back to that picture, and I still think it looks like red palm. Thanks for telling - I don't think we would have guessed. And you saved me the cost of a Corvette, too!

Scott.

timdaleiden

Originally posted by Scott
<br />I was just going to guess that!

;-)

I keep going back to that picture, and I still think it looks like red palm. Thanks for telling - I don't think we would have guessed. And you saved me the cost of a Corvette, too!

Scott.

When I bought the board, and looked at the end of it, I just knew what I needed to do. I have made one pen with the grain, and then the cross cut one I showed. It is some neat wood. It is soft, so I hardened it with some thin CA.

Oh ya', the Corvette...well, I had to offer something to people for guessing...and I figured since you are such a nice guy, you would gladly supply one. [;)]

Maybe we should have some fun contests here, and offer a free blank or something. I cut many of my own blanks and I could offer up a few now and then. Just a thought.

Daniel

Tim,
That was fun, challenging and I imagine had several people looking at wood all over the net. at worst they may have found something new or learned to recognize a few woods. this has been one of the more responded to threads around here also. I think you have a hit. nice touch with a wood that is considered already fancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom