what kind of wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OLDMAN5050

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
I found this in a box of blanks I can't identify. What is it? This is a Smitty's Creekline that I shortened the top tube by 1/4 inch I think it looks good with the shorter top tube.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• pens 3-22-2013 001.JPG
    pens 3-22-2013 001.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 395
  • pens 3-22-2013 002.jpg
    pens 3-22-2013 002.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 258
  • pens 3-22-2013 004.jpg
    pens 3-22-2013 004.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 256
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Looks like Zircote to me.

Ted: do you mean Ziricote? Ziricote is a straight grained wood and looks much like Mahogany, with a dull golden brown color. Photos are to dark to see much grain, but first photo looks like it could be in the Leguminosae family. Some type of Rosewood. I have done several pens this week with some Brazilian Rosewood with the same color and grain. Jim S

Hubert H

I'm going with Ziricote. It has been cut on a bit of an angle. I have bought some boards and cut them on a small angle. It really changes the looks of a straight grain wood. Color is closer to Ziricote than the different rosewoods I have used. My 2 cents.

robutacion

I don't know the origin of that blank however, if offers a very strong resemblance to my Black Wattle heartwood. The chatoyance on that wood is very strong and pic 2 demonstrates how it can change to almost unrecognizable from the pic before and after, that is indeed one of the characteristics of my Black Wattle heartwood as shown on some of the samples bellow cross cut...!

However, there are many other woods that have similar appearance so, my suggestion is just one possibility...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• timber preparation 066_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 066_(1).jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 164
  • timber preparation 067_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 067_(1).jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 153
Jim - Zircote is a wood that comes primarily from Mexico. Go here: Exotic Wood zircote for some additional info and pics. I've used it often (my daily is a Vertex in Zircote) and I like it a lot. The sapwood is sharply defined and different because it is very light in color. It's kind of hard, somewhat prone to chipout (IME) and takes a CA finish nicely.

Last edited:

plantman

Jim - Zircote is a wood that comes primarily from Mexico. Go here: Exotic Wood zircote for some additional info and pics. I've used it often (my daily is a Vertex in Zircote) and I like it a lot. The sapwood is sharply defined and different because it is very light in color. It's kind of hard, somewhat prone to chipout (IME) and takes a CA finish nicely.

Thanks Ted; The web site was quite eye opening and interesting. I guess it's the same wood just spelled differently, that's why I asked if it was the one I usualy go by. My pieces must have been the sapwood because it is lighter in color and straight grained. The woods on the site are much darker and have fantastic grains. Another learning day at the site. Jim S

WHSKYrvr1

Jim,
Was it in the box of blanks that I sent you. The one with all the corian? If it was, then it is S***tum wood. Dead gum censors. Acacia then...

Doug

There seem to be a wide variety of suggestions, before making a fool of my self is it possible to email a high res jpeg so I am able to blow up, a good friend of mine has be the curator of the IWCS and is exceptionally good with identification.
Regards
Chris

Janster

........... it is Alder!

Alder other answers are incorrect! :rolleyes: LOL. No clue here. Be well.............Jan

Top Bottom