What kind of wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Hubert H

Hubert H

James White was in Korea DMZ and sent me this blank along with a very nice pen. It has been awhile but I have now used it and I'm wonder what kind of wood it is.

Attachments

• #11.jpg
    #11.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 305
  • #12.jpg
    #12.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 209
  • #13.jpg
    #13.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 168
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dyaus75

Looks like old persimmon - Diospyros kaki- branch.

Sometimes, old persimmon tree shows black color like spalted one.
It's not spalted, but just changes of color.

It's just my humble opinion.

1080Wayne

Appears to be ring porous , whereas the growth rings in persimmon are not usually so distinct because of its semi-ring porous structure . Can`t tell for sure , but parts of the photos seem to show large rays , which might suggest an oak of some kind . If I`m seeing things and the rays are in fact small , I would guess an ash or possibly an elm . I assume it was native to Korea ?

Hubert H

Thanks for the replies. X cut spalted hackberry sounds about right now that I compare it to some straight cut spalted hackberry I have. Much nicer than the one I made last. HWH

robutacion

I could swear that was some of my Mulberry in cross cut, that I processed not long ago, amazingly similar but I know it wasn't from me now...!

Cheers
George

Well, decided to take a pic of the #29 X blanks from my Mulberry tree that I have processed. This tree has been giving me a fair number of different blanks, depending from where in the tree the log came from so, from the vary many I have processed, some are just too identical to the OP pen to not think that, my blanks go all over the world so, nothing too difficult to endup in someone's hands from someone that sent it as a swap, gift, etc., anything is possible...!

You be the judge...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 005b.jpg
    005b.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 004b.jpg
    004b.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

triw51

I have some mulberry that has fanstic grain structure and color. The tree was planted in the early 1900's. When it was trimmed about 5 years ago I was given some of the bigger branches. I was going to us the wood for BBQ but was forgotten. I found it a few months ago and made 50+ pens for the hospital foundation (I had an order for 100 Mesa pens) I got more coments from that wood. (Plus the story of 100 year old wood from near Jerome Arizona)

Top Bottom