What an idea!!! WOOD pen!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ed4copies

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I am often given "grief" when my penmaking friends see my "collection".

EGAD!! The "resinator" has WOOD pens!!!

Here's one I did this weekend:
Chittam(?) smoke wood with some figure, thanks to Dawn for the blank -- sometimes having the right connections is helpful!!

Comments welcome!!

Attachments

• Chit4net (3).JPG
    Chit4net (3).JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 331
  • Chittam 001.JPG
    Chittam 001.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 260
  • Chittam 004.JPG
    Chittam 004.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 198
  • Chittam 005.JPG
    Chittam 005.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 205
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrburls

Very nice Ed. I like it :):) See, even natures natural creations can be as beautiful as resin. All thou some of your resins are pretty cool.

Keith "mrburls"

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Very nice pen with a superb finish :)
I wish I had connections :frown:

May want to PM the PR_Princess. I know she will have some blanks available, as soon as I get the nerve to cut the "blocks" into "blanks".

Basically, this came off of one of her burls. I picked the "cruddy piece" for me. The rest SHOULD be even more "figured". Now that I have seen it and turned it, I am less worried about ruining her burl in the cutting process.

Comes alive, as you turn it and it is NOT difficult to turn.

JohnU

Great looking pen Ed! Your finish really gives that wood depth, and the kit is perfect with the gold highlights matching that woods color.

hewunch

Very nice! I hope mine turns out as nicely. Any tips for the folks who are just starting to turn the stuff?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Mine was a simple BLO-CA finish. Something I learned from Alphageek, (with lathe continuing to spin at 2200rpmish) I now apply BLO, rub off with papertowel, apply thin CA (while spinning), put a little BLO on papertowel and apply, another coat of thin CA, again hit with BLO on papertowel (careful this one CAN GET HOT!), now I have changed his method from here on, he continues the above a few more times and does not need to sand. I apply a coat of medium CA (fairly heavy) and hit with accelerator, apply another coat (again watch out for heat, it can smoke!!) Two coats of medium CA and spritzed with accelerant each time. Done for the night. Next night, sand with 600 and 1000 grit, then Beall buff and put hardware on.

That's MY story, and I'm sticking to it. Have done about 100 pens since Dean showed his method, they have all turned out OK>

YMMV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alphageek

Former Moderator
That's MY story, and I'm sticking to it. Have done about 100 pens since Dean showed his method, they have all turned out OK>

WOW!!! That pen is beyond OK.... Just curious - do you use all 3 wheels? I've been trying to refine my method a bit too... I love how it turns out most times, but there has been a couple that I've been more than happy with. I don't have a buffing setup overall yet, but I've got one wheel for applying wax..

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Actually, Dean, when I am finished with the 1000 grit, it is starting to shine. But, I take the pen off the lathe and put it on a wood dowel (turned to the size of the pen tube) and go lengthwise. I believe this takes off the scratches left from all that radial work, on the lathe. So, yes I use the tripoli (actually going down in grit, from what I have been told), then the white diamond.

I rarely wax a pen. The one shown was NOT waxed.

DennisM

Mine was a simple BLO-CA finish. Something I learned from Alphageek, (with lathe continuing to spin at 2200rpmish) I now apply BLO, rub off with papertowel, apply thin CA (while spinning), put a little BLO on papertowel and apply, another coat of thin CA, again hit with BLO on papertowel (careful this one CAN GET HOT!), now I have changed his method from here on, he continues the above a few more times and does not need to sand. I apply a coat of medium CA (fairly heavy) and hit with accelerator, apply another coat (again watch out for heat, it can smoke!!) Two coats of medium CA and spritzed with accelerant each time. Done for the night. Next night, sand with 600 and 1000 grit, then Beall buff and put hardware on.

Nice finish, I am happy now, that is exactly how I was doing mine from the start, someone on another forum asked why the blo inbetween ca coats and couldnt tell him a reason, other then it just seemed to bring a deeper shine and gloss to it..

Nice pen there Ed. if it is anything like your others, I bet in person that one just is amazing!

Top Bottom