THIS is what I wanted to do this morning, inspired by the tutorial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

9376_535757299817673_322728473_n.jpg

1006124_535757323151004_1579436979_n.jpg

1013377_535757353151001_740119002_n.jpg

I saw the tutorial on segmenting with aluminum, and I'd already done that quite a bit in the past, but I HADN'T done the diamond shape with any segmenting yet, and wanted to give it a shot. I got Dad to help me get a jig set up to make the cuts and we got everything as well fitted as we could, and I glued it up and went to town on it. I learned my lesson this morning and used some walnut which is far better suited to my tools and technique. I found the PR blank I had that I felt wold look the best with the walnut and after turning it I still had small tearouts, but I was a lot more patient with it and got it cleaned up. The only real complaint I could make here is making a small grey spot at the cap where the CA flaked during assembly, but I did that to myself. Really happy with the result,if I try it again, I'm pretty sure I can get an even cleaner result. I know the joints on the segment aren't perfect, but they're a lot closer to it than they used to be for me so I'll take the win and go with it. I used thick CA for the glue-up and it went from 3 pieces to a pen barrel and on the lathe in about half an hour.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I always have to enlarge my screen when I look at your pens. Your photos are huge. :)

May I ask what the divot on the last photo is all about in the lower half of the pen??? Just curious because that was the one you chose for the other thread also.

Looks like you are getting the diamond effect down. Lots of possibilities with that simple design. Hope you run with it.

Drstrangefart

I always have to enlarge my screen when I look at your pens. Your photos are huge. :)

May I ask what the divot on the last photo is all about in the lower half of the pen??? Just curious because that was the one you chose for the other thread also.

Looks like you are getting the diamond effect down. Lots of possibilities with that simple design. Hope you run with it.

I'm not seeing a divot on the lower barrel, but that's not saying it isn't there. Even holding it up to light in person isn't showing anything but a couple of stray tool marks left from being unable to really sand this thing effectively.

jttheclockman

Looks like a ripple in the cloth just in front of the pen.

Rick

After further review I think you have discovered the divot.:) With photos that large why did I not see that:)

Top Bottom