What I learned from Russ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Tea Clipper

Tea Clipper

This pen is the result of watching Russ Fairfield's new video "The Collectors Pen". The video covers everything you need to know to make this pen, and Russ does a great job walking you through step-by-step.

This is angle-cut Bolivian Rosewood on a chrome Baron chassis. Normally I'm an Enduro kind of guy, but I was excited about this pen so I braved a CA finish.

20086923919_collector-closed.jpg

20086923932_collector-open.jpg

Thanks for looking, and comments good or bad are always welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VisExp

Nicely executed Ron. I really like the shape of the closed ends and the pen overall. The clip looks great! Well done, you must be pleased.

Tea Clipper

Russ shows a couple of different ways to make the recessed clip in his video. I used a fine toothed razor saw similar to what he shows to mark the initial clip location. From there, the things that he uses to dig out the hole I didn't have on hand so I improvised and used an exacto blade. It takes a little patience and several trial fittings, but the recessed clip is well worth the effort.

Thanks for your comments guys!

Tea Clipper

Hi Rob. I may have gotten this piece from you, I'm not sure as I've had it for a long time now. I think a year or two ago you ran a Rosewood special. Something like a 5 different rosewood sampler pack... I'm not sure though. Does that ring any bells? It may also have come from Fanger... Gosh, I've been holding on to that blank for a long time just waiting for a pen kit that can do it justice. I think I made a good choice. [8D]

M

Mudder

Originally posted by bitshird

A very nice pen to be sure, maybe those videos will help me learn how to turn better, Not sure any thin can help:(:(

I've purchased and watched all 5 of the video's and I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone who wants to improve their skills. The teaching style that Russ displays is a "laid back, common sense" approach and he has some very ingenious solutions to problems that we run into every day. The one thing that was clear to me from watching his video's was that I was "over complicating" almost everything I was doing. There was about a half dozen times that I slapped my forehead and said "Now why didn't I think of that?"

I'm in the process of cleaning and re-arranging my shop and I hope to be turning again shortly. I will be using many of the ideas that I received from watching the video's and I'm sure that my final product will improve.

Top Bottom