What a doozy!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DrPepper8412

DrPepper8412

Hey gang,

I haven't been online much this summer, I've been too busy making pens!

Just before I left school to come back home for summer break, I got a pen order that just about knocked me off my feet. The Office of the President at DePaul University ordered 120 Cocobolo Chrome Barrons, for their annual trustee gifts. Needless to say, I jumped on the opportunity, and have been working on them since I got back home! Here are the spoils of my labor!

Attachments

• IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 442
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

WAY TO GO DAVE!!! ;) congratulations on such a great order and it looks as though you filled it with quality workmanship. I have turned a bunch of the same pen but they were on a variety of woods. Doing 120 of the same pen with the same blanks, OOOOFFFF! Just shoot me and put me out of my misery! GReat job! Proud for you!
Charles

boxerman

Very nice pens. Well can see why you haven't been on. Congrats on the your big order. Did you give them a discount for that big order? That keep you out trouble for awhile.:biggrin:

Last edited:

kenspens

nice job what a great order and outstanding workmanship
ken
kenspens

arw01

Mucho congrats! My order is about 1/10th that and I've been procrastinating all summer! Wow 120 of them, that like full time work!

Do tell some of the techniques you learned to speed it up? I've been having trouble with my skew tearing out Cocobolo on the last 3 I did, so had to do a lot of 120 skew work.

JohnU

Congrats Dave! They look beautiful. The best part of an order like that is a picture of it completed... and maybe the $. 

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
Nice job on the pens from what I see. It looks like a field of great gifts.
Congratulations!!

Now where did I put that Cocobolo blank and Chrome Barron in the shop?:rolleyes:

ToddMR

That is pretty awesome. I can't even imagine doing something that large. WOW. Congrats to you for getting the order and being able to pull it off as well. I am sure they will be enjoyed.

Lenny

Very nice batch of pens! :)

Cocobolo is one of my favorite woods, unfortunately like many people, I have developed an allergy to the dust.:eek:

How are you doing with that? After that many pens you certainly have been exposed to it!:)

Be sure to protect yourself in every way you can with dust control etc.!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Job well done Dave. These should be a big hit. I know what it takes to make just one so, I hope you get a rest for awhile. Great looking pens.

steeler fan1

Dave,

That is just outstanding. I did a batch of 40 last year for the troups, didn't turn a pen again for several months. Major burnout:frown:. Can't imagine doing that many in one order. Congrats on the order and completion.

Carl

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
WOW! I am just finishing an order for 30 Walnut Barons and I'm sick of walnut. I can't even imagine how sick I would be of cocobolo after 120! Of course, the money might help me get better!:biggrin: Great job!

Last edited:

DrPepper8412

Brooks803, I sure hope not! :eek:
arw01, I did all my prep work: drilling,milling, etc, in one go...took me a good 10-12 hrs, but it sped up my process considerably!
Polarys425, I used a CA finish
Charles, I was about ready to put myself out of my misery! It was tiring!
James, at 16, you should be proud to get orders that large! I know this will probably be the last time I get one this huge.
Lenny, I wear a painters gas mask at all times...better safe than sorry!

EVERYONE: Thank you all so much! I'm a little tired, but it was 100% worth it! And yes, the $ did have something to do with that :biggrin: haha Thank you again! It means a lot to have all your support.

Top Bottom