What a difference a grain makes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

Sometimes the attractivness of a pen is not the fancy fittings, but the grain of the wood or the colors in the casting that make the first impression. I think both the grain and coloring in this pen make it stand out, but than again I made it, so my view may be a little slanted. The pen is a Rockler Gold Spirit. The blank is a mineral stained and spalted White Oak. I took a few libertys with the kit however. The lower section is a bit longer to take advantage of the grain pattern, and to make the taper a little more pleasing to the eye. So there is no bottom tube used. I tried several times, without any luck, in making the cap without using the tube also, but alas I gave up on the idea. The wood was to thin at the center bands. To avoid any misunderstanding, let's just say that no lathe was harmed in the making of the tapers on these blanks. Tools consisted of one bolt, three different sized washers, two files, a drill, and some hand sanding. I also included a photo of the blank holders I used to make the tapers for this pen and the hexagon pen I posted earlier. Top one is the hexagon setup with blank. Next is the bolt and washers used for the tapers on this pen. 3ed is a 3/8" bolt and nuts. Last one is a bolt and nuts used to make a hexagon magnetic pen. The tape on the bolt is there to make a snug fit on the larger of the two tubes. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0027 (800x455).jpg
    DSCF0027 (800x455).jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCF0028 (800x487).jpg
    DSCF0028 (800x487).jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCF0031 (417x800).jpg
    DSCF0031 (417x800).jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 224
  • DSCF0032 (285x800).jpg
    DSCF0032 (285x800).jpg
    207 KB · Views: 199
  • DSCF0029 (800x660).jpg
    DSCF0029 (800x660).jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 211
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turncrazy43

Very nice pen and a really great blank. That grain is to die for.

Wow that is a beautiful piece of wood Jim. You cannot make that it has to be created that way. I really like what you did with this hardware. Nice pen..

Last edited:

SteveG

Try as we might to find beautiful grain for our pens, we often are left wanting something "a little better". Once in a while, that really perfect piece comes along, letting us know we are very close to the Holy Grail. You got very close, here, and made a pen to really show it off. Great selection, and nice work with your non-lathe approach!

plantman

.....a bit of WORK, well worth the effort! Nice!!!!!......Jan

Thanks Jan! Yes, working to taper those blanks is a lttle more hand work, but good for the soul. It took me a couple of hours to get it the way I wanted. I could have turned those tapers in a matter of minutes on the lathe, but that wasn't the point in doing it. I only wanted to show that it could be done with a minimal amout of tools. Jim S

Top Bottom