what colors do you bleed?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

I wanted to make a pen to show my appreciation to all our armed forces near and far for all they do. What I'm hoping to do is on the 4th of July find a random member of our armed forces and give them this pen. The blank is one of my home casts (you can see it here: http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63960. It's the tube blank at the bottom.) I am sooooo happy with out it turned out. I had no idea of what to expect. I thought it'd be fitting to use a Patriot kit for this pen. MM to 12000, Buffed with Tripoli & White Diamond, and polished with PlastX. Thank you for looking and for any comments made.

Attachments

• 100_7317.jpg
    100_7317.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_7321.jpg
    100_7321.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 100_7305.jpg
    100_7305.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 100_7306.jpg
    100_7306.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 100_7311.jpg
    100_7311.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 156
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

That's a great idea! I love the blank too, very nicely done. I have from time to time done a purpleheart pen and carried it around till I bumped into someone either in uniform, or a couple of times, in a vehicle with a purple heart license plate, and presented it to them. I've never had a poor reaction, and two years later, still hear from one recipient via email from time to time.

I also participate in the Eagle Cane Project, and get great satisfaction knowing that disabled veterans out there benefit from something I worked on, as well as the knowledge that there are still people out here that understand and appreciate their sacrifices.

July 4th is a great time to put something like this into practice. I wonder how many participants we could get to make up a pen in the next 7 days and present to someone on independence day.

Rangertrek

Very nice patriotic blank. Someone is going to enjoy getting it!

Also great idea on the purpleheart blank and gift pen.
I am going to steal :biggrin: your idea and make a couple for this weekend. I plan to provide a card with the pen with a dedication to my Dad, a vet, and a purpleheart. Too bad I was not in this hobby before he died. He would have loved it.

Brooks803

Very nice patriotic blank. Someone is going to enjoy getting it!

Also great idea on the purpleheart blank and gift pen.
I am going to steal :biggrin: your idea and make a couple for this weekend. I plan to provide a card with the pen with a dedication to my Dad, a vet, and a purpleheart. Too bad I was not in this hobby before he died. He would have loved it.

I think thats a great plan John. James (Jskeen) and I put something in the casual conversation to try and get as many as possible to make a pen for a service member (here's a link: http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63982.) If it's at all possible to get any pictures of the recipients of your pens feel free to post them.

Craftdiggity

John,

That is an awesome pen. Did you cast the blank? You idea to give it to a random serviceman is a fine one. I hope you don't mind if I do something like that myself as I think it is a wonderful idea. I have a very big craft show this weekend and I think it would be neat to have a couple of pens on display and figure out a "serviceman's only" free raffle or something like that. The ideas are starting to churn...

Brooks803

John,

That is an awesome pen. Did you cast the blank? You idea to give it to a random serviceman is a fine one. I hope you don't mind if I do something like that myself as I think it is a wonderful idea. I have a very big craft show this weekend and I think it would be neat to have a couple of pens on display and figure out a "serviceman's only" free raffle or something like that. The ideas are starting to churn...

Thanks Chris, I did cast the blank. I got lucky that it came out the way it did. I think you should run with that idea, they do so much for us this is just a small way to say thanks. I'm hoping when I give mine away that whoever is around will take the time to appreciate them as well and pass the idea forward in whatever way they can.

GaryMGg

Great idea; great looking blank.
While I never like that kit, your blank does it more than justice.
I hope I have time to get in on this -- I just got back from being on business travel
and may not get any shop time before the 4th.

Daniel

Brooks, Fantastic blank and a fitting pen for the purpose. I did this several years ago with 25 red white and blue acrylic pens. Mine where slimline though. They all ended up going to troops in one way or another. Your post brought that back for me. I wish I had had time to put together another couple dozen this year. It would be fun to walk around downtown this Sunday and hand them out.

patharris

Local Chapter Leader
Johnathon, congrualtions on another beautiful casting and resulting pen. I am sure you want have any difficult in finding a member of our armed services to give this pen to one of our finest. BTW, did you get your website up so we can contact you to purchase some of your great casting creations?
Pat Harris
Lexington, SC

fiferb

Wow! Where will you be on the 4th? I want to try and be one of the random servicemen you bump into. Will following you around all day get me disqualified? LOL

Brooks803

Wow! Where will you be on the 4th? I want to try and be one of the random servicemen you bump into. Will following you around all day get me disqualified? LOL

It will not disqualify you Bruce, though it may generate some weird reactions from my wife..."honey, who is that strange man following you everywhere with that eager grin on his face? He looks as if he wants something from you." Most likely I'll be out with my family watching some fireworks, if we don't drown from all this stupid rain first. If I have enough time before Sunday I'm gonna try making a few more of these. I only bought the 1 kit to try out so I'll use something else.

Top Bottom