What to call a bale of straw???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ed4copies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
20061128155114_strawbale%20pens.jpg

"Max-imized" straw bale pen from Gary Max. Gary rushed this material to me so I could have it for my final show this weekend. It was easy to turn and, predictably, needed some CA repairs as you get to the final stages (there are holes between the pieces of straw, as expected!) However, as a result of the CA repairs, it was also easy to reach a high shine and, I believe, make a pen that will be pretty popular.

Gary sends you a blank that is large enough to make ANY pen I know of, and I think the "straw color" that results without painting the tubes, is GREAT.

All pens like this get an "information card" with a title. For example, my corn cob pens are "Pen in the cob"

Looking for ideas for this one. "Bale out" and "Straw, man!" have come to mind, but looking for ideas. Need to have the card done by this afternoon, so think quick!! (Especially you, Cav, this is right up your alley [hmmmmmm, that could work for the bowling ball pens!!])

Thanks,

Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Here are some quick ones off the top of my head...
Splendor in the grass
The hay loft
A roll in the hay
Hay, look at me
Hay is for horses

I know, corney but I thought I would throw them out!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I appreciate all suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For clarification, being from Wisconsin there will be a LOT of people who know it is actually STRAW, not hay.

I am not trying to pick Knits again, but I try to avoid being told I am not a farmer (truer words were NEVER spoken) by the folks in Dairyland.

Remember, visit Wisconsin, come smell our Dairy Air.[:D][:D][:D]

TBone

Scarecrow [:D] Now where's that yellow brick road?

Now just figure a way to make one to call Cowardly Lion and Tin Man (that one should be easy) and call it the Oz Collection

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by TBone
<br />Scarecrow [:D] Now where's that yellow brick road?

Now just figure a way to make one to call Cowardly Lion and Tin Man (that one should be easy) and call it the Oz Collection

This could be NEXT year's project.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

TBone

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Originally posted by TBone
<br />Scarecrow [:D] Now where's that yellow brick road?

This could be NEXT year's project.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

"Yellow Brick Road"....a corncob
"Ruby Red Slippers"...red flake acrylic (as stated)
"OZ or The Emerald City"...dark green flake
"The Witch"....black and green acrylic mix
"The Tornado"...maybe an acrylic with a dark base with lighter swirls resembling the vortex
"The Poppy Field"..all kinds of possibilities from real poppy to an acrylic matching the colors

I'll be clearing a spot in my office for an entire "Oz" collection for naming rights [:D][:D]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Ed,

I just got home and saw this thread. Nice work with Gary's interesting blanks.

My input would be to post a sign in front of the pens that simply has the words "NOT The Short Straw" That to me is a conversation starter.

FWIW,

Cav

Gary Max

Dang you are fast-----one heck of a Job getting them turned for the show. I sold my First Hay Bale Fountain Pen today.
Oh ---hope you sell them both this weekend.

JimGo

I think you should call it "What the Hey" (note the spelling)...and then you can explain to everyone that you're not a farmer (hence your intentional use of hey instead of hay).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom