Whale Bone and Afzelia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from paps

paps

A few years ago a friend brought me a whale vertibra that he picked up off a beach in British Columbia. I made him a knife and used the bone for the handles. Anyhow, had some left over and ran across it the other day rummaging around in the shop. Thought I'd try it on a pen. Segmented it with some afzelia xlay and turned it down. Bone is extremely porous so had to do some filling with CA. Might shoulduv put it on a different kit, but at least it's unusual. Thanks for the look!

Attachments

• 074P0311.jpg
    074P0311.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 344
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

The segmenting doesn't really show off the bone or the afzelia, but the overall combination still looks great. A good demonstration of how the whole is better than the sum of the parts.

Did the porousness of the bone create difficulties for gluing the segments?

-Barry

PenPal

Phil,

Like that kit very much what is it called? It allows a greater choice in design than the Vertex with the use of the round shapes near each end.

I have just finished using a cast pen blank and I confess to really loving timber overall.

So many times I make pens using found material and the combination you chose is very interesting indeed. Makes quite a conversation piece and will create a buzz to talk about if you keep it in your collection. It reminds me of leather also interesting.

Using bone glueing should be real easy if as you say it is porous. Appreciate your spending time with that kit, choice of material and find the end result a happy result.

Kind regards Peter.

paps

I appreciate the comments!

It is a magnetic vertex kit...just could bring myself to turn it straight... but it might have looked better that way. I just noticed that in one of the pictures it looks plum crooked. Op-tackle illusion as my daddy would say.

The porousness of the bone did make it glue up nice. Used epoxy.

Top Bottom