Western Soapberry on a JrGent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SDB777

SDB777

Felt like doing something a little easier on the 'old guy body' today, so I turned this one. Think I may need to break it back down, noticed in the photo it's a little 'proud' on the ends....I think I was using the right end on the caliper?

Anyway, here is a Gold plated Jr. Gent 1 rollerball wearing some Western Soapberry(same timber the oldtimers use to use the berry to wash their clothes with...yup!). The wood was a little 'creamier' then I'm use to seeing so I put the Chrome kit back and used gold....I dunno, guess chrome would have worked too?

Comments/critique always welcome, and thanks for looking.

By the way, yesterday I moved 6500-7000 lbs of logs!(ERC and Wild Black Cherry).....by hand, no machinery was used on this operation.

(see, I got a photo...so it did happen)(and no, these won't all end up as pen blanks, but I have een thinking about making some rustic benches and such)

Scott (I feel old just looking at that stack) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gallianp

Than than than than than not then then then then --- they are NOT the same word
Nice pen -- I really like the wood!

SDB777

never heard of soapberry, sure looks nice..

nice load of wood,, from the storm damage??

Typically the trees grow in older parts, or along roadside/fencelines in the state. The berries that the tree produces use to be used by the 'oldtimers' to wash clothes. You've probably seen the tree and just didn't 'notice' it....it has a creamy-tan colored berry about 3/8-1/2 inch in size and it grows in clusters on the end of thick branches. The bark is brownish and broken in long strips.

Than than than than than not then then then then --- they are NOT the same word
Nice pen -- I really like the wood!

Nope not the same:eek: But I am always looking for new species to throw in the trailer to bring home and slice open(never know until you cut them).

Nice looking pen.
Can't be to old of an "old guy body" to have moved that wood! You must be part Egyptian.

Kirk

Thank you!
I keep tell everyone that I'm 25, but after a day of moving logs around I feel more 'my age':wink: Really it's more of a 'work smarter, over working harder' thing with the log moving. Especially when you don't use any kind of machinery!

Scott (think I found that chunk on I630 near the ballpark) B

Top Bottom