Western red cedar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from GBusardo

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBusardo

I have a piece of Western Red Cedar someone gave to me about ten years ago. As you can probably see from the picture, the growth rings are very close. The tree had to be over 200 years old. The blank was cut at 90 degrees and was a B***H to turn. A couple of blanks exploded on me so I decided to leave a little extra wood and do some extra sanding. The blank absorbed tons of thin CA and I thought the whole shabang was going to be permanently glued to the mandrel. Anyways, I thought some of you would be interested since there had been some recent threads on cedar.
Thanks for looking

200610823921_cedarscantwo.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Gary,

That is really nice and looks worth the trouble.

I did notice that Juniper (cedar relative) absorbs CA like a thirsty Camel! [:0][B)]

GBusardo

Yellowheart center band, I am pretty sure anyways. I have a load of cutoffs, Some of them I am not sure what they are [:I]
Thanks for the comments

TBone

Good job Gary, it was worth the trouble. Question, when using a custom wood center ring do you turn that seperate or glue it similar to a segmented blank and turn it together?

GBusardo

I glue up first then drill the hole. I think others may do it differently though. Basically, I do these so I can use a cheap kit and experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom