Wenge on a Summit kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Earl_J13

Earl_J13

I think this is my 5th pen. I feel like I'm getting better. Now I know why people make pens for 20-30 years and never get tired of it. It's addicting and I'm just scratching the surface.

Any feedback or constructive criticism is welcome, tho it's probably hard to see details.

image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

Great looking pen! Yes, it is addicting. I've been turning pens for 17 years now. Sometimes I go away from it for a while, but I always come back. There are many, many more kits available now than when I first started. That makes it fun and keeps it fresh.

jttheclockman

Very nice looking pen. Have to say though that does not look like Wenge that I am used to. I have a bunch of it in my shop right now and it is a lot darker in color and that is how I remember ever seeing it. Always hard to tell a species of wood from a pen size. That wood loves to splinter and if you get one in a finger it will fester right away. Need to be careful.

http://www.wood-database.com/wp-content/uploads/wenge.jpg

Last edited:

bpgoldo

Terrific work. Real nice shape. Very artfully done. Now....build on that and do more !

Earl - I like the pen - a lot. Looks to me as if you did a super job of pairing pen style to the material, which is often an issue. Not here. And it looks to me also that you are ahead of the curve in turning and finishing. Pretty darn nice for your 5th pen!

Constructive criticism: 1-looks as if the pen body is too large where it meets the tip. On this pen there should be a smooth transition. Looks as if there's a ridge. The pic wasn't definitive so if I'm wrong, sorry. 2-when you're doing a 2 part pen, line up the grain so it's "uninterrupted" from upper to lower when the refill is retracted. I really like where you placed the clip, but the grain just doesn't seem to match.

Keep up the good work. I'm thinking we'll be seeing more from you here!

Earl_J13

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the compliments and tips. I haven't used much wenge but from the photos I've seen on Google, it looks like it's wenge and the hardwood store marked it as wenge. I agree, the side grain looks like bocote. It's a nice piece of wood. Here's a photo from the piece I made the blank from.

image.jpg

jttheclockman

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the compliments and tips. I haven't used much wenge but from the photos I've seen on Google, it looks like it's wenge and the hardwood store marked it as wenge. I agree, the side grain looks like bocote. It's a nice piece of wood. Here's a photo from the piece I made the blank from.

View attachment 153878

I think it was mismarked. This is my guess and I have this stuff also in the shop and it looks more like bubinga

Bubinga Lumber for Woodworkers - Friendly Service & Fast Shipping from Woodworkers Source

Big difference.

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/shop/category/wenge.html

Last edited:

OZturner

Nice Pen, Rob.
Though I must agree with John T, it is not as dark as the Wenge, I have. It does look like Bubinga, No worry it is a spectacular Blank.
From the Photograph, it does look like the Center Band is sitting above the Body and Cap, but it is a bit in the dark, so it may well be the Photograph.
Congratulations, I look forward to your next post.
Brian.

Earl_J13

I think it was mismarked. This is my guess and I have this stuff also in the shop and it looks more like bubinga

Bubinga Lumber for Woodworkers - Friendly Service & Fast Shipping from Woodworkers Source

Big difference.

Wenge Lumber for Woodworkers - Friendly Service & Fast Shipping from Woodworkers Source[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Bubinga doesn't have the same color and the grain is a little different. Google images of wenge, there are several different characteristics between each board or tree that make them look slightly different in color probably depending on where in the tree the boards are cut or the area in Africa that it was harvested. I don't think the hardwood store would mis-mark thousands of dollars worth of wood, it wasn't just a pen blank that I bought. I found several photos that look the same as what I have. I'll post one since I can't seem to post multiple photos for some reason. After googling images of wenge I can totally see why everyone is doubting that it is wenge.

image.jpg

jttheclockman

Earl

That is what makes it hard to tell what a wood species is. People come here all the time and ask what wood this is or that is and I try hard to refrain from jumping in. Too many factors go into it. Yes that could have been wenge could come from a different area. Could be full of sap wood. To my eye it looked too light but as I said no problem and do not worry about it. Glad you are showing your pens and hope you continue to do so as you grow in this hobby. Whatever you call it, call it a nice looking pen. :):)

Top Bottom