Wenge and Maple all wood pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from timdaleiden

Status
Not open for further replies.

timdaleiden

This one took some time to make. I CA hardened the clip and made it extra wide near the finial to give it some extra strength. The finial and clip are actually one piece that fits on a tenon I cut into the top barrel.

Image Insert:
200410223333_Copy%20of%20allwood.jpg

25.15KB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

C_Ludwigsen

Tim, these are just TOO COOL. Excellent choices in contrasting woods. I've made a platter and hollowform collar from the Wenge, so I know how difficult it can be to cut. Great job.

timdaleiden

Thanks folks,

Chuck, you are right about the Wenge. It'll chip out pretty easily, so sharp tools are a must. I noticed the picture I posted makes the CB look off center. It is actually just a reflection off the white paper background. Here is a touched up version that looks more like the pen actually turned out.

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
2004102125857_Copy%20of%20allwood.jpg
<br /> 25.15&nbsp;KB

timdaleiden

Well, I can certainly tell you how I made it. I will warn you though that I tend to make things sound more complicated than they actually are.

The finial, clip unit is actually two pieces of Wenge CA glued together. The clip part of the finial was drilled out with a larger diameter bit (I am not sure what size I used), and then turned it on an appropriate sized bolt held by a ½ inch Jacobs (drill type) chuck. The bolt I used was close to the diameter of the tenon I created on the barrel. I used a bit of masking tape to make a snug fit on the bolt. I only turned down about a ½ inch end section of the 2 inch piece. I used calipers to make certain it would flush with the barrel for it’s outside diameter.

I then turned an appropriate sized finial to fit on top of the clip section, and CA glued them together.

Once I had them attached, I used the band saw, and a dremel tool to carve out a clip from the wood that hadn’t been turned down to final diameter. That took a lot of time, and I used thin CA to harden the wood several times. I made several revisions before I was happy with the way it looked assembled.

The nib end of the pen was turned on a tiny bolt…very tiny. I just drilled out a small piece of Wenge, stuck it on the bolt, and turned using a Jacobs chuck with the tailstock pulled up to hold it steady. I used a caliper to get the tenon the right size. After it’s done on the lathe, the pen end of the nib needs to be bored out a bit to accommodate the refill. I stop short of going all the way through, so the refill isn’t sloppy when extended.

I hope that all makes some sense. I never take pictures of my process, because I am never sure if it will turn out to be a keeper, or a dud. Here is a picture of it disassembled that may help you to see what I did.

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
200410214257_disassmbled.jpg
<br /> 24.31&nbsp;KB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom