Wenge Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Trapshooter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapshooter

This one has my best ca finish to date. Still haveing problems getting bushings off though. Think I will try to sharpen up a parting tool next time[:I]thanks for looking

200591602917_wenge%20cigar%20in%20satin%20gold.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodscavenger

Before you start the CA finish open the knurled nut and drop a little BLO at the bushing ends. This makes it easier to get the blanks off the bushings.

JHFerrell

Scott, Nice lookin pen. Was the wenge hard to turn? I've got a really nice board in my shop that would make some great blanks, but I've heard its hard to turn. Any tips?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by JHFerrell
<br />Scott, Nice lookin pen. Was the wenge hard to turn? I've got a really nice board in my shop that would make some great blanks, but I've heard its hard to turn. Any tips?

TRY IT!!

You'll appreciate his pen even MORE. Quoting Old Griz, stick with a "Scary sharp" tool.

Nice job on a difficult wood.

lkorn

Scott,
When my bushings get glued to the blanks, I grab the BUSHING with a pair of pliers and gently twist the blank. A light touch with 400 grit sandpaper, cleans up the ends.

Trapshooter

Thanks everyone for looking, the comments[:D] and for the tips using the wax and BLO with my bushings.

John, The blank turned down real fast, I used a sharp gouge then went to a "scary sharp" skew. The lighter brown grain is softer than the dark brown grain and I saw tear out on the lighter grain. I used a light coat of DNA on a shop towel to show me where the tear out was and I spent extra time sanding with the grain at 220 before I went to 400grit. After that, I then went through all the grits of micromesh. I think some of my tear out could have been avoided if I had not turned the blank down so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom