Well, that was... uhh.. interesting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Marc Phillips

Marc Phillips

Not what I thought this would be like at all...

I guess I need to do a lot of reading about antler pens... had quite a time doing this but really just wanted to get some sort of idea about turning antler...

Anyway, I will try a couple more times... I have a few more pieces of antler that were given to me... I just decided to go ahead and beall buff this and call it done... so I would end up with something resembling a pen.

Lots more reading, and could use any and all tips and hints...

Thanks...

Attachments

• AntlerPen.JPG
    AntlerPen.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 348
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptG

I love the antler with the colors. I use 2 or three coats thin ca to seal and polish. They out sell the nice ivory colored ones.

bitshird

Yup what Gary said, a couple coats of CA to fill in the marrow and shazzam a nice pen, and for some reason the ones with some color or even better some bark showing sell better.

nava1uni

I apply CA even on the rough ones as it fills the pore of the antler and marrow, if exposed. I like your pen and the shape. It is one that several people request since they have arthritis and the shape is easy for them to use.

witz1976

I apply thin ca while I am turning, as it will help by harden the soft marrow. That could be the reason why it is so uneven. Once you get it turned down I finish with CA & MM as I don't have a buffer yet.

fiferb

If I have one with a lot of open marrow I sand it to fill in the holes and then apply thin CA to help fill it. As far as finishing, it depends on the antler, sometimes there is no open marrow and I'll just buff it and done. If there is a reason to fill with CA, then I do my normal CA finish.

Top Bottom