Well I made 2/3 of a pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from crabcreekind

crabcreekind

this is my first attempt at a kitless fountain pen. I purchased a 40 inch rod of the neon material to mess around with. I made the section out of black that I just had laying around from my kitless click pen.

the first pic is my first section I made today. The is 8mm threaded. And is see through. So a big no-no. Also, I messed up the drilling from a side, and the threads broke on one side. So I scrapped that part.

I decided to make one with the 10mm tap and die that I got from indy-pen-dance. This one went smoothly and the tenon does not have the end smaller so the section will sit flush with the body. (more on how I fixed that later). anyway. I was so excited when I actually completed a section. I never thought I would be able to do it!

So when I made the body, I drilled it with a 23/64 or whatever was close to 9mm for the tap hole. Because I did not have a 9mm drill bit. (go figure) Anyway, so I tapped that hole. And since my little metal lathe has a POS tailstock. It was not exactly the size for the tap at the beginning because of slop or runoff, or whatever you call it. So the threads did not work. But i saved myself with ca glue. I took medium ca glue, spun the lathe by hand, and evenly applied ca on the end of the hole on non existent threads. Then i tapped it again. And BAM it worked!!!! Ca saved the day. ca, takes good threads. Who would have thought. Lol. But when I cut my tenon and tried to thread it with the die, which was not in my die holder, because it was bigger than 1 inch. plus they aren't very good and were from harbor freight. It just cut a taper. So I went crap. Cut off the tenon. and then retapped the 10mm and it still worked.
So about the section not sitting flush with the body. All i did was put my lathe tool at a angle, and taper about 1/4 of the beginning. So the section would sit flush.
Now i wait with 2 pieces not finished. I will be ordering a 14mm x 1 die. To cut the threads for the body also a tap to go with it. And I will be making a extension for my die holder so it will hold 1 1/2 round dies.
That's my day. It was well worth it! I cant wait to add kitless to my arsenal of pens.

Attachments

• IMG_20120628_135437.jpg
    IMG_20120628_135437.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_20120628_200445.jpg
    IMG_20120628_200445.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_20120628_200503.jpg
    IMG_20120628_200503.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 267
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

What I do to hold the die, until I make a holder :rolleyes:, is to put it in the chuck flush with the jaw tips. Hold the blank in my left hand and with the live centre of the tailstock in a centre drilled hole in the other end of the blank. Turn the blank into the die while pushing on the tailstock with my right hand. The die cuts a nice, square to the axis of the barrel or section, thread.

ericd

14 mm is pretty big. Add another 1 mm or more and your cap (if that is what you are making this size) will be 16+ mm in diameter. That's a whopper of a pen.

A 12 mm die will fit the holder you already have.

You are off to a good start.

My $.02
Eric

Robert111

14 mm is pretty big. Add another 1 mm or more and your cap (if that is what you are making this size) will be 16+ mm in diameter. That's a whopper of a pen.

My $.02
Eric

Regarding the cap diameter, I think if you look at brand name fountain pens, 17 or 17.5 mm isn't that uncommon.

BSea

My $.02
Eric

Regarding the cap diameter, I think if you look at brand name fountain pens, 17 or 17.5 mm isn't that uncommon.
I agree. There are many kitless makers on this forum who use a 14mm for the cap threads. It's too big for me personally, but it is very common.

And crabcreekind, good work so far. My 1st kitless took at least 8 hours. And each one I make has been an adventure.

Top Bottom