Well it cracked

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Nolan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolan

Well went to sell it and noticed it had cracked[}:)], I would say it was 5-6 weeks after turn and finish as I showed it a few weeks after I turned it and it was fine. I sure like Snakewood but get tired of taking apart to refinish after cracking. BTW it came from Darrick good news is is the other one didnt crack. Does anyone have any recomendations on pen style that is less prone to cracking? I thought maybe one that left the wood a little thicker. Sorry for posting in wrong forum before I guess thats what you get when you post on heavy meds after surgery.[:0]

Nolan

Image Insert:
2006529235647_snakewood%20designer.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johncrane

I think the heat has alot to do with it Nolan did it crack on the ends I suppose' thats the most common spot there might be a way to fixing this problem if it is at the nib end or clip ends.by filing the brass tubes a bit releaving the force from the ends when there assembled. then you would have to glue the ends in place. Russ fairfield has said blue loc tite is good for glueing pen parts in tubes. if useing ca you have to be very carefull you can damaged the finish.I have not tryed this yet. maybe others have a better idea

Dario

Sorry to hear this.

Can't help you yet...both snakewood pieces that I tried cracked while drilling [:I]

BTW, here's wishing you a speedy recovery.

Nolan

I do relieve the tubes on snakewood and have also read the blue loc tite but havent tried it either. It cracked on the nib end.

Dario>>>>>>> Thanks for the well wishes I am getting there but slowly. Cant stop thinking of the burl in the garage[:p] I supose it came at the right time as it will motivate me to get my shoulder going again.[:D]
Nolan

Pipes

I use a wire gun cleaning brush to make the nib slide in really easy but not much preasure and loctight it in... And also I put CA around the edge of the nib and top ends befor I turn... This seems to seal it reieve the presure... And so far I have had no cracks in the 3 I have made 1 is 2 months old I have a pipe tamper I made a gent that is 2 yrs old and NO cracks! I kina did the same thing with it on the brass ends !

http://affordablepipes.com/

Rifleman1776

As beautiful as they are, pens made from snakewood, ebony or pink ivory seem to always crack. This begs the question: why risk it? Most other woods don't crack as a matter of course, just use about anything else. I have found that African Blackwood is a great subsitute for ebony. Like it and have had good luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom