A weeks work.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

Had some penturning time last week and this weekend and produced a few pens.

From left to right they are as follows:

1. Beeswing Paela <s>Platinum</s> Chrome Perfect Fit
2. Figured Mango <s>Platinum</s> Chrome Perfect Fit
3. Amboyna burl Platinum Cigar Pencil
4. Spalted Alder Platinum Jr. Gent
5. Cocobolo Platinum Jr. Gent
6. Curly Mesquite Platinum Jr. Gent
7. Desert Ironwood Platinum Jr. Gent version II

200661244827_P1020328a.jpg

Here is a detail of the cocobolo (my favorite of the lot). It is made of a "scrap" that is too thin and have some imperfections to sell but too nice to throw. I am glad I kept it. Picture didn't do this pen justice...it is almost like rosewood burl in person and have so many colors, I can't believe it!

200661244617_P10203751a.jpg

As you can tell...I am still working on my pictures :D...that is why I still hardly post pics of my work [B)][V].

Comments and critiques welcome :)

Thank you,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Thanks guys.

The mesquite is my 2nd pick...could probably have been the first if I don't have too much mesquite. BTW, believe it or not...this mesquite is from another "scrap" piece! [:0]

Fangar

Dario,

Excellent work. The first photo is very good. I would have to say that you have achieved a great finish! Thanks for sharing.

Fangar

JimGo

Wait a minute...you turn pens??? [:D]

Beautiful job all around, and great examples of the woods! I especially like the lower barrel shape on that Cocobolo.

Dario

Originally posted by angboy
<br />I'm partial to the beeswing paela. What kind of finish did you use on them?

I'm sorry, I forgot...they are all CA finished.

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />...I especially like the lower barrel shape on that Cocobolo.

That shape is IAP inspired. Cannot recall now who originally made a similar shaped pen but I know I've seen it here and specifically posted that I WILL copy it [:D].

GBusardo

Imagine having to pick one of these? Tough choice!! I think I like the Mango the best, maybe because I don't remember ever seeing one. Great Job on them ALL? By the way, anyone know why the perfect fit pen is called a perfect fit?
Gary

its_virgil

Very nice pens, Dario. I especially like the curly mesquite, but they are all gorgeous. When cutting mesquite, what type of limb shape would produce the curls? What shape of limb should we look for, or is it just finding the curl without any outside indications.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by Dario
<br />Had some penturning time last week and this weekend and produced a few pens.

Here is a detail of the cocobolo (my favorite of the lot). It is made of a "scrap" that is too thin and have some imperfections to sell but too nice to throw. I am glad I kept it. Picture didn't do this pen justice...it is almost like rosewood burl in person and have so many colors, I can't believe it!
Comments and critiques welcome [:)]

Thank you,

Dario

Don,

The curly part is usually found outside the crotch. I term that place the "armpit" (coined from my mother-in-law) [:D]. It can also be found in places where there is an inside curve due to leaning branch. I strongly believe the compression creates the curl.

In my case, most of the time there are indications on the bark. I can almost tell now if there are goodies underneath. I'll try to take pics next time and show the before (bark area of a log) and after (milled blanks).

That said, I only find a few of these that is why I keep even the scraps.

Hope this helps even just a bit.

Ron Mc

Dario,
That curly mesquite is fantastic! For some reason I feel like I had a piece of that stashed somewhere. Now that I have seen the end results it's time to do some digging!
Thanks.

Nolan

Very nice Dario!! Your pic are very nice also IMO. Cant decide between the Spalted Alder and Amboyna, I think the Amboyna as I am really starting to like burl woods.

Nolan

its_virgil

It was in the box you sent me last week.[:D] (just kidding)
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />Dario,
That curly mesquite is fantastic! For some reason I feel like I had a piece of that stashed somewhere. Now that I have seen the end results it's time to do some digging!
Thanks.

punkinn

Hoooooly moly. Those are sweet! I see what you mean by the beeswing figure in the Paela, now... and no WONDER you like it!! [;)]

They're all incredibly beautiful. Fine, fine work!
Nancy

guts

Dario,please post the outside of the mesquite when you get a chance,i have a friend who has a small sawmill and plenty of mesquite,thanks.

Dario

Originally posted by punkinn
<br /> I see what you mean by the beeswing figure in the Paela, now... and no WONDER you like it!!

Nancy, The blank I sent you was from the same stick and looked exactly similar outside. Now if only I can sell even just a few of these [B)].

Originally posted by guts
<br />Dario,please post the outside of the mesquite when you get a chance,i have a friend who has a small sawmill and plenty of mesquite,thanks.

Guts, I will, I promise as soon as I get the chance and encounter more of it. Hopefully soon!!! [:D]

Dario

Good news. Sold the pencil (Amboyna CSUSA Rhodium Cigar Pencil to my officemate today...well actually, it is an IOU 'till payday [:D].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom