This weekend's work - first Jr. Gent's and a SL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JimGo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

Turned all of these yesterday; a Cocobolo slimline for my wife's friend, a Cocobolo Jr. Gent, and a Wenge Jr. Gent. Tried buffing them with Jeweler's rouge, but the Wenge and the Cocobolo SL both didn't like it for some reason. Had to hand-sand both to fix some blurry spots in the finish. Then I threw the Wenge onto the lathe to touch it up even more. Wound up putting another coat of CA on it, and just leaving it at that coat. The Cocobolo SL was OK without the extra CA coat. The Cocobolo Jr. Gent. came out OK first try.

Comments, criticism, etc. welcome. BTW, anyone know what happened to that "anonymous pen critic?" Not that I think I'm up to that caliber yet, but...

%20Wenge%20JrGent%20and%20Cocobolo%20JrGent%20Alt3.jpg

%20Wenge%20JrGent%20and%20Cocobolo%20JrGent%20Alt2.jpg

Thanks for looking! Oh, and thanks to ILikeWood for the Cocobolo on the Jr. Gent; the sapwood really made a nice contrast. The other two blanks came from two different eBay suppliers.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Very nice work, Jim! FYI, when you are ready, the PenCritic can be reached at PenCritic(at)aol.com. He does not accept attachments. Pics must be embedded in the message...and yes, I have availed myself of his service...got some extremely valuable feedback!

JimGo

Thanks Lou. Took your advice WRT the sanding, and these came out much better than most of the others you saw this weekend.

ilikewood

Hi Jim,

I have had a ton more luck using CA to seal and then using a lacquer over....especially with Cocobolo. It is much easier too because you can sand the CA down to the wood again and then apply the laquer. I haven't tried poly yet, but I hear it is nice too.

You did nice work there Jim!!

PS - on a personal note...Package goes out Monday!!

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Turned all of these yesterday; a Cocobolo slimline for my wife's friend, a Cocobolo Jr. Gent, and a Wenge Jr. Gent. Tried buffing them with Jeweler's rouge, but the Wenge and the Cocobolo SL both didn't like it for some reason. Had to hand-sand both to fix some blurry spots in the finish. Then I threw the Wenge onto the lathe to touch it up even more. Wound up putting another coat of CA on it, and just leaving it at that coat. The Cocobolo SL was OK without the extra CA coat. The Cocobolo Jr. Gent. came out OK first try.

Comments, criticism, etc. welcome. BTW, anyone know what happened to that "anonymous pen critic?" Not that I think I'm up to that caliber yet, but...

<br />

Thanks for looking!
Real nice work, Jim. Especially the spalted coco from the Fancy lot that <u>I</u>, <u>me</u>, Ken, wanted very badly,[:D] but wasn't fast enough on the grab to get. That Wenge is real picky about how it wants to be turned isn't it?
Again, very nice pens.
ken

JimGo

Ken, you should see the rest of the blanks, they're beautiful! :D Okay...no more teasing... Yes, the Wenge was a PAIN! I lost a pen's worth of blanks last week just trying to make this stupid pen! Both of them exploded as I got close to the bushing size. Oh well, live and learn! Bill, thanks for the great Cocobolo! (Sorry, meant to give you credit earlier!)

JimGo

Thanks Johnny! I'm not that thrilled with the shape of the slimline either, but my wife specifically requested it. Since it is a gift for a friend of her's, I did what she asked! :)

<br /> but my wife specifically requested it. Since it is a gift for a friend of her's, I did what she asked! :)
BAH!!![:eek:)]
You're just like the rest of us, Jim. You would have done what she said regardless of the reason!![:D][;)][;)]
I believe it's called a little smart, and a whole lotta skeered!
ken

JimGo

LOL...wow, I didn't think my wife's reputation had spread THAT far South! :)

FWIW, she read the comments on it, and kept asking me what was wrong with it!

Oh, and Michael, I now know how you feel about that Kingwood. I kept staring at the Cocobolo Jr. Gent all day today and smiling!

woodscavenger

Great pens, terrible photo background. I think a lighter background would really help us see the pens and grain. The textured background is overpowering.

woodpens

<br />Comments, criticism, etc. welcome. BTW, anyone know what happened to that "anonymous pen critic?" Not that I think I'm up to that caliber yet, but...
Did he disappear about the same time Eagle went away?

Nice job on your pens!

Gary

Jim, the Gents look great...the Slimline I don't care for. I agree with an earlier post...toss the background.

JimGo

Thanks for the input, both on the pens and the background. FWIW, the background is the stingray skin I've been fighting with and trying to make a pen out of (and complaining about in my cast resin post).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom