This weekends work

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cwasil

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwasil

I did a bunch of slimlines, designers & cigars. Can anyone tell me what type of wood this is in the second picture. The stuff was light as air but tougher to turn than expected...cool open grain

2005418185337_DSC00113.jpg

2005418185349_DSC00114.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ilikewood

Could be one of several things...Koa or Black Acacia (a koa relative), or even mesquite from a curly part (root) of the tree. I have some that looks just like that.

Oh yeah, I've seen some cuts of Monkey Pod look just like that too.

I just re-read your post a bit better...if it was extremely light, the possibility of it being Monkey pod is much higher as Koa is a fairly dense wood. Monkey Pod is very light and not dense at all. Did it seem real dusty when you turned it?

BYW- those are nice pens.

Lou, I am no expert on wood...might be able to recognize a few but thats about it.[:I]

JimGo

Wow, that was a busy weekend! Nice job with those, too! I especially like the "hourglass" cigars; nicely executed.

cwasil

Honestly the shaped cigars are the worst of the bunch. I'm new at making these and I feel they're much to big and bulky...I'm trying to copy Yoyo's so I get a feel for it and then walk off in my own direction. Not very good yet though

As for the mystery wood here's a little about it:

1. One of the lightest blanks I've dealt with
2. Has that little checkerboard pattern on it like Padauk has
3. Crazy grains

Thanks for help. I normally don't care for the open grained stuff like this but this is some really neat stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom