Wedding pen - please comment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from terryf

terryf

I'm looking at getting into the wedding market here so I made a Jr Statesman in white/red pearl.
Are the photos good enough to use for advertising?
Do you see this as a wedding type pen?
Is the box good/bad?
Is a FP a good idea considering they sometimes dont write first time?
What can I do to improve the package apart from engraving?

Attachments

• statesman wedding red pearl_filtered.jpg
    statesman wedding red pearl_filtered.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 342
  • pen in box.jpg
    pen in box.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 250
  • pen in box 02.jpg
    pen in box 02.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 228
  • statesman nib02.jpg
    statesman nib02.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 197
  • statesman nib.jpg
    statesman nib.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 177
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

1. Yes, that IS a wedding pen. To the bone. 2. Picture it with the register for full advertising impact. 3. I'd probably go rollerball unless fountain is requested.

These are just the opinions of one person, though. Looks great either way.

randywa

I second the rollerball idea. The only thing I can think of might be to etch the name and date on the glass.

surveyzo

Pen is perfect for a wedding. Maybe a white box with gold engraving, or black box with gold or white lettering. Really nice pen and photo

AF

TheRealSmith

Pics look great!!! the NIB close ups are so sharp you can see the dust you need to clean before taking close ups:eek: I use a can of dust off compressed air and blast just before shooting:cool: The pen looks perfect for Weddings....

terryf

Thanks guys, I think rollerball will be the standard with FP as an option!

The spots I did see on the NIB Dan thanks but I wasn't sure yet whether I was going to use Fp or Rb so didnt bother retaking the pics until I knew :)

IPD_Mrs

Terry that is a BEAUTIFUL pen. The only reason I would agree with a choice to go to the rollerball is if the pen is being used for the guestbook which I would presume it would be. Many people don't know how to write with fountain pens and of course there is the folks who run in late and in a hurry scratch there names in the book - fast equals pressure in most cases and could damage the nib. If they do want the fountain pen I would offer them a nib upgrade to be put on AFTER the pen is used so that their personal experience will be better later on - especially given that so many others will have used the pen to begin with.
Your photos really are looking great, I am very impressed.

I'm not sure who suggested etching the glass on the box, that might be a nice touch actually depending on whether or not you feel comfortable doing that. Must be done exactly in order to line up letters. I've done that with a device in the past that sand blasted the etching into the glass and you had to line up every letter - pain in the backside.

Keep up the great work!

Mrs.

IPD_Mr

Thanks guys, I think rollerball will be the standard with FP as an option!

How about offering it as a rollerball for during the wedding and switching it to the FP for after the wedding? Sure it would add to the price but only need to get a rhodium Jr Gent FT to use for the part. Anyway it gives you more to think about. :redface:

seamus7227

I think it looks good to Terry! But I have to agree with everyone else about the fountain pen issue, what IPD_Mr stated was a viable option! Another thing though is if the customer decides on a fountain pen, you should look into other nib options that dont say Dayacom on them. Real fountain pen users may look down on that name as a nib. Just my opinion. If you can get your hands on some on the heritance nibs, i would go with that or an 18kt nib. Great pics though!

terryf

The downside to 18K nibs is that they push up the price considerbaly and whilst heritance nibs are affordable, is there much difference?

Alternatively I could just double the price and include two pens, one FP and one RB :)

seamus7227

The downside to 18K nibs is that they push up the price considerbaly and whilst heritance nibs are affordable, is there much difference?

Alternatively I could just double the price and include two pens, one FP and one RB :)

While there may not be much difference, at least you wouldnt have "cheap" screaming at the customer with the word "Dayacom" on the nib, I mean, when it comes to quality nibs, who is Dayacom, right?! I'm not trying to be rude, just my own opinion. I think the heritance nibs are gentler on the eyes and they say "class" when you look at them.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Looks good to me. Agree with those who say it should be roller ball. You might also consider an archival ink (Uniball refills work for this) depending on what they will use it for, particularly if they want it to sign and preserve any documents. Just the idea that you mention this may be enough for customers to think you really know your business.

BradG

Looks very nice to me Terry. I loev the presentation of the fountain pen, but the practicality of it may not be so good as others have mentioned. I do like the idea of a pair, one being the roller ball for the guests to use, and the fountain pen mounted in the case for the bride & groom to cherish.

One thing you haven't shown in the picture, is the box itself closed? looks great from what i have seen of it though. would be good to get an idea of its overall presentation closed in the box? just my two cents

wizard

I'm looking at getting into the wedding market here so I made a Jr Statesman in white/red pearl.
Is the box good/bad?

Terry,

First of all, its an Awesome pen !!! perfect for the occasion. I agree with presentation of both the rollerball and fountain pen. The rollerball to be used to sign the guest register. The photos are good enough for advertising. Nothing a little compressed air wouldn't take care of on the nib. IMHO, for what it's worth, I would also change the nib to a Heritance and, moreover, the logo on that nib is fitting for a wedding.
I like the box. Regal looking. Nothing you can do to improve it. I'm assuming you will have the names, details and date of the nuptials engraved on the box or etched on the glass.

Just a thought...I would leave cards and pictures of your work with wedding planners, at the stationary stores who print and sell the wedding invitations and, maybe, with the stores at people are registered for the wedding gifts.
My two cents worth...

Terry, Great pen as usual! Good luck with your endeavor !!! Hope it will be very profitable!!!
Regards,
Doc

OKLAHOMAN

Terry, I agree with all who said roller ball, now get back to the shop and make a matching BLACK pen in a fountain pen engrave the brides name and date of the wedding on the white one the grooms on the black one. If the wedding isn't until late September I'll send you a Bock nib for the fountain pen , if it's sooner I'll send you one of my Heritance nibs, the least I can do for all the work you put into the plating question.

terryf

While there may not be much difference, at least you wouldnt have "cheap" screaming at the customer with the word "Dayacom" on the nib, I mean, when it comes to quality nibs, who is Dayacom, right?! I'm not trying to be rude, just my own opinion. I think the heritance nibs are gentler on the eyes and they say "class" when you look at them.

Cool, Seamus, thanks, I'll use the dayacoms on something else.

Looks good to me. Agree with those who say it should be roller ball. You might also consider an archival ink (Uniball refills work for this) depending on what they will use it for, particularly if they want it to sign and preserve any documents. Just the idea that you mention this may be enough for customers to think you really know your business.

Sound like I know my business eh Bruce?? I have heard about archival inks but Ive never seen them and wouldn't know where to get them - care to point me in the right direction? Your advice is appreciated!!

Looks very nice to me Terry. I loev the presentation of the fountain pen, but the practicality of it may not be so good as others have mentioned. I do like the idea of a pair, one being the roller ball for the guests to use, and the fountain pen mounted in the case for the bride & groom to cherish.

One thing you haven't shown in the picture, is the box itself closed? looks great from what i have seen of it though. would be good to get an idea of its overall presentation closed in the box? just my two cents

I actually did consider it then changed my mind - will definitely include a photo of the closed box - thanks.

Is the box good/bad?

Terry,

First of all, its an Awesome pen !!! perfect for the occasion. I agree with presentation of both the rollerball and fountain pen. The rollerball to be used to sign the guest register. The photos are good enough for advertising. Nothing a little compressed air wouldn't take care of on the nib. IMHO, for what it's worth, I would also change the nib to a Heritance and, moreover, the logo on that nib is fitting for a wedding.
I like the box. Regal looking. Nothing you can do to improve it. I'm assuming you will have the names, details and date of the nuptials engraved on the box or etched on the glass.

Just a thought...I would leave cards and pictures of your work with wedding planners, at the stationary stores who print and sell the wedding invitations and, maybe, with the stores at people are registered for the wedding gifts.
My two cents worth...

Terry, Great pen as usual! Good luck with your endeavor !!! Hope it will be very profitable!!!
Regards,
Doc

Thanks Doc, this is actually the pen I am going to take and leave at a weddding botique up the road. You hire a small cabinet space which you decorate and leave business cards etc. These botiques are used by wedding planners as well as couples. Thanks for the wishes Doc :)

Terry, I agree with all who said roller ball, now get back to the shop and make a matching BLACK pen in a fountain pen engrave the brides name and date of the wedding on the white one the grooms on the black one. If the wedding isn't until late September I'll send you a Bock nib for the fountain pen , if it's sooner I'll send you one of my Heritance nibs, the least I can do for all the work you put into the plating question.

erm, Roy thanks, yip a black one was planned as well but I am waiting for my CSUSA order to come and dont have anything black that woudl be suitable other than Gemsbok horn and I dont think that wil go down well with everyone.

A second pen would also mean two boxes or an insert that can hold two pens - will have to research that.

Awesome pen....the only thing I would like to add is the use of Casein or Alt. Casein blanks...they look nice...Good luck!!

Casein type blanks wouldnt have the red or blue pearl which seems to quite the craze here at the moment but will certainly keep it in mind thank you.

Terry that is a BEAUTIFUL pen. The only reason I would agree with a choice to go to the rollerball is if the pen is being used for the guestbook which I would presume it would be. Many people don't know how to write with fountain pens and of course there is the folks who run in late and in a hurry scratch there names in the book - fast equals pressure in most cases and could damage the nib. If they do want the fountain pen I would offer them a nib upgrade to be put on AFTER the pen is used so that their personal experience will be better later on - especially given that so many others will have used the pen to begin with.
Your photos really are looking great, I am very impressed.

I'm not sure who suggested etching the glass on the box, that might be a nice touch actually depending on whether or not you feel comfortable doing that. Must be done exactly in order to line up letters. I've done that with a device in the past that sand blasted the etching into the glass and you had to line up every letter - pain in the backside.

Keep up the great work!

Mrs.

Guests writing with the FP is a very good point Lynn thanks, someone mentioned a Jr Gent nib swapout - perhaps a Jr Gent or even Triton for the register and Jr Statesman/Jr Majestic for the bride/groom. I am actually leaning towards putting three pens into the display.

Pics look great!!! the NIB close ups are so sharp you can see the dust you need to clean before taking close ups:eek: I use a can of dust off compressed air and blast just before shooting:cool: The pen looks perfect for Weddings....

The marks are actually marks and not dust. Will need to give it a proper clean.

terryf

Here's the thread on archival inks.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75182

If you can't find the Uni-ball refills or order them in your neck of the woods, I'm sure one of us could post a batch to you.

Do all of the uni-balls fit this criteria or only certain ones? How can you tell, does it say on the packaging? I'd like to go pick some up...

From what I can tell they're all the same shape and size except the ones known as Vision Elite are standard ink and the 207's are gel refills. They come in black and blue and in 0.5, 0.7, 0.8 and 1mm sizes

Don't quote me on that though, take a look here...
http://www.uniball-na.com/main.taf?p=2,4#

Top Bottom