Water Lilies

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

Water Lilies is a painting by Claude Monet (1840-1926) using a new approach to the art world called En Plein Art (painting the lighteffect) at the time he painted it in 1916. Monet used rapid brush strokes like the Bob Ross method of today. This would later be known as impressionism. He was known for using mottled pastel colors in some of his fine works. This pen is a PSI Executive pen kit with Chrome fittings. It is turned on an oversized Bird's Eye Maple blank and dyed with pastel alcohol dyes, sanded, 8 coats of thick CA applied, finished to 1200, and polished with One-Step plastic polish. Overall looks of the pen itself was not #1, this was an exersise to show how you can use alcohol dyes to change the outcome of your project in a predictable manner. Alcohol dyes can be used on a number of sufaces including wood, metal, stone, ceramics, and glass just to name a few. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0013 (800x186).jpg
    DSCF0013 (800x186).jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 291
  • DSCF0014 (800x260).jpg
    DSCF0014 (800x260).jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe S.

You just might be on to something, but it definitely needs refining. Interesting that the dye can be used on metal.

plantman

The inks I used can be purchased at Michel's or other art supplie stores. The brand I used is made by Tim Holtz and is labeled Adirondack Alcohol Inks. They come in 48 colors. Jim S

plantman

You just might be on to something, but it definitely needs refining. Interesting that the dye can be used on metal.

I used the word dye, as that is what I did to the wood. It actualy is clasified as an Alcohol Ink and was made to be used on any slick surface such as glossy paper, dominoes, metal, srink plastic, or glass. I found it to work great for distressing metal foils for use on steampunk pens. Look up Alcohol inks on youtube to find applications and videos on how to use or mahe the inks. Jim S

Edward Cypher

It will be interesting to see if the color stays as all the alcohol dyes for leather fade rather quickly. Most of the companies that made great colorfast dyes for leather changed there formulation due to many restrictions coming out of california, and the new stuff looks great to begin with but then fades fast with any UV (sunlight) exposure. It does look good on the pen hope it stays.

plantman

ED; Many tato inks are a combination of pigments, alcohol, and distilled water when placed in our bodys. Some of the old tatos would fade or run, but most modern tatos are vibrant and colorful with todays formulas. also with the pen being completely sealed with CA, I am hopeing that it will remain bright and colorful. I have used these Inks on eggshell and foil pens in the past, and so far have seen no changes in colors. Jim S

Top Bottom