Watch Parts Pen - SMC PITH

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Leviblue

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
I've been trying new ways to improve the casting of the watch parts pens that I've been doing.
There was a PITH on another forum that I participated in and here is the pen that I sent. This is not my photo as that's a work in progress.

Thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Attachments

• Watch Parts for SMC.jpg
    Watch Parts for SMC.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 305
  • Watch Parts for SMC 2.jpg
    Watch Parts for SMC 2.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 461
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodgraver

Awesome job...I've been trying to find some parts to give this a try. Can you elaborate on what you did? What kind of paint, did you use CA to attach the gears, what were your casting improvements? It looks amazing.

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
The paint that I've been using is Rustoleum heat paint, 500 degree. I had problems with just the regular Rustoleum. I let the blank dry overnight before using medium CA to glue on the gears. I thought about using the torch and heating up the gears to bend, but thought that was a bit much for me.
I started using a pressure pot with the PR and have seen an improviment in how the blank turns. This is the first pen that I used the Wood Chuck turning tool on. The ribbons flew off this blank smoothly and I was able to start sanding and using the MM much sooner.
The painted tube is still a work in progress as I have got to think there is a better paint to use than what I've got. I may try the Testors brand on the next one. As well as using tweezers to place the gears.

Lee K

I saw that Kevin!
Glad you got a chance to sneak in over there too.

Thats a real nice pen.

I am not pleased with the one I made for trade, so I gotta start again, I guess

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
Lee, glad to hear from you.
Yea I snuck in on that one with James. The pen that is posted took me a little longer to complete just due to not wanting to have it blow out on me.

If the pen you are doing is anything like the one you sent me during the IAP PITH, I'm sure the receiver will be well pleased.

Top Bottom