Watch Gears and Aluminum .... Again

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MIKL

MIKL

just like the last one, i spent a couple of hours bending and shaping watch gears by hand.... definitely gotta get me one of those shaping blocks

this one i dressed up a little with just a hint of red wire and a Date Circle

this time i used a Zen component set in Chrome plating, i would have preferred to go with a Black Ti or Gun Metal but i had none left, guess i will have to order some more

It was cast at the same time as my previous post but needed some attention due to silicon molds and pressure, you can see in the pickie how much the molds compress under 45psi, i will not use these in the pressure pot again, instead i am trying out another idea as i type

thanks for looking, C&C encouraged

MIK

Attachments

• DSCN4729edt.JPG
    DSCN4729edt.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 247
  • DSCN4728edt.JPG
    DSCN4728edt.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 332
  • DSCN4665edt.JPG
    DSCN4665edt.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 265
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reddwil

MIK

There's a great article in the library on Bubble free casting without pressure. I don't use pressure on any of my cast and have not had any issues, At least that I didn't cause.

MIKL

MIK

There's a great article in the library on Bubble free casting without pressure. I don't use pressure on any of my cast and have not had any issues, At least that I didn't cause.

i generally don't use pressure to cast however these watch parts have places to catch air pockets on the under side in the mold, pressure will help avoid this, my first experiment on a new mold worked well, i just have one more hurdle to work out and it will be all go, thanks for your thoughts all the same

I love the hint on red on this! What a perfect choice. Well done!

thanks Mate, it came out a treat, up close the watch gears look like they are floating, if only there was a way to make them turn as well, that would have definite WOW factor:biggrin:

MIK

MIKL

Thanks for all the feedback, i appreciate all comments

Look great Mik! really neat things going on there. make your own press drill a hole the size of the brass tube into some Wood/Aluminum then cut it in half, use hf punch to bend gears.

hiya John, i tried the wood thing but alas the gears that i have trouble bending by hand split a piece of red gum, i will try it again, i have scouts out looking for a jewelers shaping block, a friend who recycles metal said they turn up now and then.... fingers crossed for sooner rather than later

Stunning.

I wish I had the skills to make a pen like that.

Hiya Brian, do what i do mate.... make it up as you go, believe that you can and you will

MIK

OZturner

Beautiful pen, Mik.
This is one of your posts I missed, so glad I caught up.
Love your light red wrap, gives it a great Lift.
Great casting, Fit and Finish.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Top Bottom