Walnut SL FPP Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JimGo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

I did this pen from the last of the blanks I got from New England Specialty Lumber Supply to use in the FPP. I'm not thrilled with the way it came out, although the wood was great. I had actually turned some beads on it while it was thicker, but then realized that it was going to have to go into someone's pack, so this shape made more sense. Any way, thought I'd share.

Oh, and comments/criticisms are welcome; not that I'm challenging you, but I don't think people can be much harder on this one than I was!

005553131_Walnut%20FPP%20Pen%20-%20Cropped%20Small.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

atvrules1

We all have to turn a couple straight barrel SL's. Don't you just love the way that the design changes all the way down to straight barrel and sometimes beyond as you are turning a pen? I've had that happen on occasion.....including at least once today.

tipusnr

Only design flaw I can see is that the pen seems a little undersized at the nib end. Consideration for the user is a concern many of us forget in turning for things like the FPP. Plain and durable beats ornate every time in a uniform or pack!

JimGo

Bill, you're right, it does taper. In fact, it is well below the edge of the nib. I'm not sure whether I did that during turning or sanding, but somewhere along the line I cut it a little too short. I turned it without a middle bushing because of the original design; I was at least pleased that I was able to eyeball the middle to the appropriate size for a centerband.

Thanks for the feedback!

53Jim

Oh, and comments/criticisms are welcome; not that I'm challenging you, but I don't think people can be much harder on this one than I was!

You sound just like me (you poor guy [:(] [;)]) I am my worst critic. I think your pen looks very nice. If you were to give it to me, I'd take it and use it, and show it off (giving you FULL credit - most of the time [:D].

Jim

JimGo

LOL...that was pretty good Jim!

I agree Pastor, a very worthwhile cause. I see it as a VERY small token of my gratitude for the sacrifices they are making for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom