Walnut and Maple Segmented Euro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I been playing around with an idea for another segmented pen. It didn't come out as well as I would have like due to a slight misalignment. I used my scroll saw to make the cuts and CA for the glue ups. The finish is WTF. All C&C welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 129
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
OK... Took me 5 minutes to find the misalignment - yea, pretty slight (my design opportunities should look as good!).

Yup, the clip will hide only one side :mad: BUT, the pen is still great! An artist knows his/her flaws... I had to look for it after a hint.

I suspect the next one will meet your standards!

NICE design!

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks Jan, Mark and Michael for the great comments, maybe I'm a bit to picky but I guess we are our own worst critic's

Notnate

I've been toying with similar ideas myself. Looks good, even with the minor misalignment. I tend to be rather self critical myself, but as my wife would tell me in those situations... "It's perfect! Your just being too picky!" then she would take it and not give it back, lol.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thank a lot Chris, John and Notnate for you very nice comments. I've come to realize that on segments such as this the look changes the more wood you remove and if you have a taper. Natnate Evelyn does the same thing to me. I loose more pen that way especially if it a 7mm type. :biggrin:

OZturner

Great Design Dan, and Great Execution, even allowing for the slight misalignment.
Have you worked out, how the misalignment occurred?
To me it appears that after your first diagonal cut and fitting your insert, on your second diagonal cut, it looks like you didn't match the Cut thickness (Kerf) to the Insert Thickness.
So when you inserted the second Insert, you increased the length of the blank, by the difference between the Insert thickness and your Kerf.
Hence the slight misalignment on the cross overs.
I hope I haven't confused you. It is a condition that I had quite a bit of difficulty getting my head around.
I suggest you try working on some scraps of wood, to help get your mind around it.
Keep pushing the envelope, Dan.
Brian.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thank you so much for such a nice comment. The reason I had the misalignment was because I jumped when I was doing the glue up. I truck blew his air horn when I was holding the blank it slipped then set.

Top Bottom