Walnut and Maple laminated comfort

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from daledut

Status
Not open for further replies.

daledut

Here is my latest. It is made of Walnut and Maple combined in 2 different ways. The kit is a TN Comfort pen without the comfort grip. It did not turn out exactly like I envisioned, but it is growing on me.

Let me know your honest opinion. Thanks for looking.

125174041_walnut-spots-maple-stripe-TN-comfort-800.jpg

5174059_walnut-spots-maple-stripe-TN-comfort-800-2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Very sharp pen Dale, I like it allot. Who says the cap has to match the body or be the same material. Shows creativity. A job well done. Anthony

Tom McMillan

Well, Dale---it's a nice pen---very interesting!! It would probably look different to me if I saw it in person---but, I think I would like it better if the coloring of the walnut on the bottom barrel---was darker to better match that on the upper barrel.

daledut

Well Tom,
You hit the point that disapointed me a little. The dark woods are both walnut but from 2 different sources. The upper barrel has walnut dowels from the lumber yard. The lower barrel has Black Walnut from a tree I took down a few years ago.
I don't know how much of the difference is the wood itself and how much is the fact that the walnut dowels show mostly end grain. They looked fairly close in rough form but are markedly different now.
I actually like the discovery process. My laminations alomst never turn out like I expected, but sometimes I get something pretty good, other times ???

daledut

Andy,
You are asking me to divulge my trade secrets[:p]

Actually it is much easier than it looks. I drilled 3 randomly placed 1/2" holes at an angle through a 3/4" piece of maple. Then glued in 1/2" walnut dowels.

When you turn it you get the curved effect where you start seeing the side of the dowel.

When I glue in the dowel it is a tight fit. I soak everything down with CA and then use a plastc hammer to whack the dowel into place.

tipusnr

Great design - even if it didn't work exactly as planned. I just purchased some hardwood dowels two weeks ago with the idea of sprucing up blander woods with them. Really no final idea on how so your posting was very timely for me. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom