Walnut/Locust Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from clayscustompens

This is a new slimline, half walnut, half locust. I like how it came out, critique please.
Clay

Attachments

• bocotelocust.jpg
    bocotelocust.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
It looks a little proud of the fittings and i like my slims turned thinner and more straight in line with the bushings but hey that's just me.Keep it up your doing good.

robutacion

Hi Clay,

Your general shapes are getting better, (less bellies):wink:

The barrels are a little too proud, particularly the bottom barrel at the centre-band joint.

You may also need to try CA finish on your pens, this will improve the finish and give you an extra option if you are too concern in turning the barrel a little under size, the CA is a good option to "built" up "oops"...!:wink::biggrin:

This is your requested critic, and is intended as a positive one, as always...!:)

Cheers
George

The overall shape is good. The lower tube looks a little big. Be careful using different types of wood on the same pen or soon you will join the ranks of people who take perfectly good pieces of wood and cut them up just to glue them back together. :biggrin: What kind of finish did you use?

Thanks for all the comments and critique, on this pen I used a very thin CA finish but I can't seem to get a good CA finish.

ctubbs

Clay, George has listed about all your possible problems with this pen. It is a great starting point. The wood itself is excellently turned. The surface is clean and smooth. My preference is not to use walnut in a pen. It is a lot like mahogony (sp) in that it makes beautiful furnature but some what boreing pens. there is not enough texture in either to show the beauty of the wood in small pieces. IMHO Keep up the good work, you are improving as you go along. This is just my openion and offered in the hope of improvment. Keep turning.
Charles

ersRFP

Clay, George has listed about all your possible problems with this pen. It is a great starting point. The wood itself is excellently turned. The surface is clean and smooth. My preference is not to use walnut in a pen. It is a lot like mahogony (sp) in that it makes beautiful furnature but some what boreing pens. there is not enough texture in either to show the beauty of the wood in small pieces. IMHO Keep up the good work, you are improving as you go along. This is just my openion and offered in the hope of improvment. Keep turning.
Charles

Eastern Walnut, such as where you are from I might agree but California Claro Walnut such as burl, fiddleback, crotch, stump figure can make some of the most amazing pens.

Top Bottom