Walnut Crotch Gatsby - Heavily Modified

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gr8danish

gr8danish

Here's a Gatsby kit, sort of. I didn't use much from the kit, other than the bands, tip, clip & connectors. I re-turned the black segments from Buffalo Horn, and added a small inlay in the finial.

The blank is Walnut Crotch with genuine Elephant Ivory veneers and bands. The mid-section is finished in CA, the upper and lower segments are naked & burnished.

P1020026.jpg

P1020027.jpg

P1020021.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Wow! That's excellent! The black parts look great, and I love the touch on the finial. Can you see any structure in the water buffalo, or is it just flat black under the polish?

Nice match on the finish on all the different materials. Very advanced project there, and well done.

BTW, when PETA shows up at your house about your "pen stand" you officially have permission to use my patented "moron removal system" get a 2 liter of big red or fanta orange or some other heavily sugared soda, drill a 1/4 inch hole in the lid, then carry it out and shake vigorously while aiming in their general direction. Once that starts to dry and get sticky, even the most dedicated protester will usually go home and get a shower. :)

Last edited:

gr8danish

Damn that is one hell of a shine you got there! I didn't even know that you can disassemble the black enameled parts. Very cool!!

Thanks for all of the compliments guys.

The tip section comes out rather easily with a punch. The cap was a little bit more tough, until I realized that I didn't need to "save" the enamel band. Shortly after this realization, I turned on the band-saw and...

Do you guys ever have pens that turn out so well that you're not sure wether to keep or sell them? Maybe I'm just selfish. :eek:

gr8danish

Very nice pen indeed. Where on earth did you get real ivory? Aren't there people paid to keep you from getting it?

Yes, there is the Federal Wildlife Bureau (or something like that) but my Ivory is all certified and documented "pre-ban" and is therefore %100 legal for sale in the US. I can not ship overseas...

The couple of pens that I've sent across the border use a synthetic ivory called "Elforyn." It's a German made plastic that has the same grain / color of Ivory. The only difference is that it doesn't patina over time, and I HATE sanding and polishing the stuff. It's sort of on the soft side, and it can melt when I get heavy-handed on the sand paper.

gr8danish

If anyone is interested, I can sell you some of the Ivory I have... PM me what you need, and I'll get you a price quote.

I can get sheets, strips, scrap jewelry "chunks" (good for making nibs or finials), and full sized 5/8" x 5" blanks. The blanks will be shipped as rounds, not square. Ivory is very unstable in sqaure form that large and can crack during shipping.

Top Bottom