Walnut Burl Wall Street

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from propencity

propencity

My first time turning a walnut burl blank. There were small pinholes/voids on the blank but I was hoping that they would not be so deep. I tried sealing them with CA mixed with the blank's dust shavings but the patch-up still shows. I probably should have just left the void sealed with CA (without filling them with dust shavings). How do you guys/gals deal with small pinholes/voids on the blanks?

Thanks for looking.
DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0002b.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

That is a nice looking pen you have there. If the holes are truly pin holes, I normally just do my ca finish and don't notice them. However when I have had holes that are real noticeable, I fill them with shavings of the turning with ca. I haven't ran into too many times myself. I think you did a really nice job on the pen though, and from the pictures that is a nice piece of burl.

wright_714

I do the same thing filling small holes that you did. Once you get the CA on there and get it polished, people usually can't tell. Nice pen.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
WHen I get a hole large enough that it dimples when it dries, I will build it up slowly and fill the dimple plus a little more. THen sand it back down until its flush with the blank. This usually means that I will take it down just to the bare wood every where else and then redo the ca finish. I also do this when using Poly finishes. I use a very light touch with the sandpaper you dont want to remove to much of the wood and have to do a heavy build up to get it back to the right diameter.

Top Bottom