Walmart - bamboo pen blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wicook

Status
Not open for further replies.

wicook

A week or so ago, I mentioned that I bought a laminated bamboo cutting board that looked like it might make some interesting pens. The "handles" were light coloured, the centre is dark (someone pointed out that it's colour is called "toasted"). I finally got some time in the shop. I blew out the first crosscut piece of toasted bamboo, but soaked the next one with thin CA and it turned fairly well...still touchy, but workable. Here's the result:

59_Cigar%20crosscut%20bamboo%20laminate%201a%20400.jpg

The light ends came out OK, but they're nothing special:

20054433755_Euro%20bamboo%20laminate%201a%20400.jpg

The photos suffer a bit from an overly shallow depth of field...the tops got a bit fuzzy, but I didn't want to dig out the tripod.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Very nice pens Bill, I can't see making allot of them. But it is allways nice to have at least one bamboo pen in stock. Different, and they have a good feel to them. Fine work.

wicook

Thanks for your comments, folks. The cigar actually attracted quite a bit of attention at the office today. I may just make some more of them...then see if they sell. So far I haven't been willing to sell my "experiments" because I've not been satisfied with one thing or another. The day is getting closer, however!

Skordog

Bill,

I love the looks of bamboo cutting boards. And I like the looks of your top pen. What type of price did they have for the board at WallyMart? They usually start at $40 and up at most stores.

Jeff

Fleabit

The top one came out very uniform in the banding effect! Looks great! The bottom one is plain looking, BUT it still has an eye catch to it. Great job on both!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom