Wall Of Shame

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from IPD_Mrs

IPD_Mrs

This post is for Fathers and Sons as well as for Mothers and Sons. It is a post that our young members that are learning to turn from their parent or mentors should pay close attention to.

What happens when you get in too much of a hurry to wait and ask for guidance?
What happens when you use the guise of, "I wanted to surprise you" for being in too much of a hurry to wait for guidance?
What happens when you dismiss your Mother's advice that you are not assembling the parts correctly?

I present to you our Son's wall of shame. May this be his last example of Mom doesn't know and I don't have time to wait for Dad. :rolleyes:

son1.jpg

son2.jpg

son3.jpg

Would one of our younger turners care to guess at his errors, other than to listen and to wait? :rolleyes:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Naw, until he has a 55 gallon drum of misques, FUBARS and other blunders, he ain't no real penturner yet.

Just Kidding, Sometimes experience is better teacher than a mother. But, experience always seems to hit harder. Rhodium Pen Set, Acrylic blank...$20 out of the allowance should drive home the message.

arioux

Telling you what happen is admitting that i already did it. So no i don't know what happen there, never happen to me. No never.... I would never have done a silly thing like that. Never.....Ho no !

desertrat

That pen is not bad in my opinion. I think I would show the young person the mistakes then disassemble it and with a bit of very carefull skew work and a good bit of ca finish have a very presentable pen to be proud of. Just my humble opinion no offence intennded.

desertrat

PenMan1

That pen is not bad in my opinion. I think I would show the young person the mistakes then disassemble it and with a bit of very carefull skew work and a good bit of ca finish have a very presentable pen to be proud of. Just my humble opinion no offence intennded.

desertrat

I've seen worse at Art shows.

randywa

I wonder, did son see a problem and find the solution. I didn't have the advise or wisdom of anyone that had ever turned a pen when I started. I still have my first 5 or 6 that I made. I suspect it's because they weren't good enough to give away. If my son, he lives in Az. and doesn't speak to me, were to show me that and learn from it, I might just be a proud Pappa.

OKLAHOMAN

I'm really surprised that nobody sees the assembly problem....well turned but in to much of a hurry to assemble....

leestoresund

Wnat's the problem?
One end is too small, the other end is too big.
Just take of the screw ends and reverse them!
BTW I have a few blanks that look just like that. But for a Sierra.
Lee

IPD_Mrs

I'm really surprised that nobody sees the assembly problem....well turned but in to much of a hurry to assemble....

Ding ding ding....we have a winner!

Yes all Dad has to do is knock it apart and see if he can get it right this time. He did size it exact with calipers but assembled it bass ackwards.

We have all had a great laugh and will bet it will never happen again with a Jr. kit.

Buzzzz4

I have a tube stuck on one of my disassembly tools for that very reminder. Slow down and listen to dad.

Last edited:

phillywood

well, Mike, yes he did make a mistake ,but you guys taught him to be independent and honest, so he steps forward and let you see the pen, therefore admitting the mistake, and he was humble enough to let you post a pic. of it here. First of all you should be proud that he told you about it now he'd pay better attention as how to fix it.
Now, between you and me, and the members here; where is the first pen you made and made mistake on it? I promise I won't tell anyone about it.
Now, be a nice Dad and go honorably show the young man how to disassemble the pen and correct the problem. After all that's part of the teaching too, ain't it? We are all behind the young man.

Old Lar

Be proud that he took the initiative to go ahead and try on his own. I think maybe that most of us did the same thing at least once and (I hope) learned from our mistake.. Also be happy that he wants to try.

One of my sons, when he was home for Thankgiving, turned a pencil and 3 slimlines. He did a great job. Made me feel pretty proud that he could do it. Of course he is 35 years old and pretty handy.

haha I am 44 and have done that more than 1 time (as in several)on the Jr Retro :O))
Now I take the trim ring off of the nib end and match it up to the barrel and MAKE SURE I put it on the correct end of the barrel.

IPD_Mrs

Ok, we've all had a little fun and time to share the rest of the story. Our son is 30 years old and has been living with us for going on 3 years. He turned his first pen almost that long ago - it didn't go so well for some reason and neither did the second - like most of us there is a definite learning curve. Then we had a little break from turning (all of us) due to an increase in our hardware business and some other things going on in life. Our son also works about 3/4 time with his Dad and Grandparents at our hardware business - so there is a pretty good relationship with all of us and a GREAT amount of ribbing and joking that goes on when we are together and catch one or the other goofing something up. Even though we often get frustrated with one another (as all families do) when someone doesn't want to listen to the other, we all know sometimes you just have to make your own mistakes. Fortunately we are all pretty good natured and things like this end up being good natured fun as well as good learning experiences. This kid is an AWESOME young man and we both are very proud of him .. and if that is the worst mistake he ever makes turning a pen - more power to him.

The pen was knocked apart tonight and he took time with his dad to listen to what to do the next time - it's all back together and he has a pretty good looking piece now :biggrin:

Mom

navycop

desertrat
I agree. It doesn't look bad. I wish my first would of looked so good. I had alot of blowouts on my first.. And the finish wasn't that good.

IPD_Mrs

well, Mike, yes he did make a mistake ,but you guys taught him to be independent and honest, so he steps forward and let you see the pen, therefore admitting the mistake, and he was humble enough to let you post a pic. of it here. First of all you should be proud that he told you about it now he'd pay better attention as how to fix it.
Now, between you and me, and the members here; where is the first pen you made and made mistake on it? I promise I won't tell anyone about it.
Now, be a nice Dad and go honorably show the young man how to disassemble the pen and correct the problem. After all that's part of the teaching too, ain't it? We are all behind the young man.

Gosh Phil, I wish I knew where that first one was too ... but there have been so many that followed it on both our parts I doubt we could really nail down which came first ..... the chicken or the egg???? LOL I just tossed one not too long ago as I got a little heavy handed in sanding and just wasn't going to build a CA finish nearly .07 or whatever it was thick (lets just say it was a LOT) wasn't a great piece of wood and all I lost was some time and a tube! Some days you just cut your losses :wink:

Funniest part this evening though was the look on our son's face when Mike picked up the pen and asked me to hand him his hammer :eek::eek: I really thought the youngin was going to hit the floor :biggrin:

Mrs

bbuis

Yes we all got a good laugh out of this one. I will post pics of the fixxed piece tomorrow. Luckily I do have parents around that can help me fix my mistakes. Whether they are in life or in pen making. Here recently I think it's been more in penmaking though. LOL

phillywood

Brandon, here is the problem, you got both your parents to share the laugh with and them helping you to correct the problem. wait til I get going then there would be a comedy show here with all the laughs for free for the members, and then I have to figure out how to correct the problem on my own. At least I won't get to hear your Mom and Dad laughing out load in person,just have to read their comments then.

wiset1

Wnat's the problem?
One end is too small, the other end is too big.
Just take of the screw ends and reverse them!
BTW I have a few blanks that look just like that. But for a Sierra.
Lee

Exactly, this is what I saw and while I haven't done this to my pens I would imagine it's as simple as letting the youth know that a simple marker strike inside of the pen tube will always give a guide to the Top & Bottom of the turned blank.

My issue on occasion has been starting to turn pens with the wrong bushings and having to build back up with thick CA:eek: That's one of those O.S. moments! I've only done this once, but I did learn from it and I'm sure with this public blasting it will shame the child into listening from this point on.:hypnotized:...Respectfully

bbuis

This was one of the odd moments I didn't listen to my parents. Well in recent years. I know as a kid I knew everything but when you turn 21 you lose that ability. It was not a matter of listening or not .. I had instructions right in front of me. It didn't turn out how I wanted it to obviously though. I do have a beautiful pen to share when I get home from the IAP chapter meeting. Everyone have a wonderful day.

Daniel

Ah this just makes him an "Official" penturner. He doesn't start being considered for mastery until he glues something to same part of his body. Fingers don't count. foreheads and backs of necks get extra points.

Sylvanite

Anybody remember The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?

From a conversation between Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect:
"You know", said Arthur, "it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space, that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young."

"Why, what did she tell you?"

"I don't know. I didn't listen."
Regards,
Eric

Freethinker

LOL I just tossed one not too long ago as I got a little heavy handed in sanding and just wasn't going to build a CA finish nearly .07 or whatever it was thick (lets just say it was a LOT) wasn't a great piece of wood and all I lost was some time and a tube! Some days you just cut your losses :wink:

:frown:

I recently had a tremendous piece of snakewood, making a pen for which I had no bushings, (but I do have johnnycnc's delrin Eliminator bushings) and I thought - "I'll just use my trusty digital calipers".

Suffice to say, I underturned it by more than .040

Yeeeouch.

I was NOT ABOUT to give up on such a beautiful piece of wood, so I kept adding coats of CA.......I lost count of the number of coats, but I did finally manage to fill it to the required diameter.

Just shows, no matter how long you've been turning, it never hurts to go veeeeeeery slowly at some of the critical points in the penmaking process and make sure what you are doing is correct.

ThomJ

I'm 63 now, and as I reflect back its amazing what my mom & dad knew when I was 13-30, even though I knew more LOL

Top Bottom