Wacky Segment Stuff!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

Can you guys tell that I have too much time on my hands this week? (I took and extra week off on vacation). Anyway, I needed a pen for my sister that is almost as wacky as she is (in a good way). So feeling a little creative, I tried the segment thing. Actually, I have tried segments before with varying degrees of success (More bowls then pens). I followed the usual method, only I cut the blank in half and drilled the two pieces before then cutting each layer again and gluing them together for the final time.

Here is what the segments looked like before the final gluing:

segments.jpg

This allowed me to glue each piece onto the tubes and align them. If I had taken more time making my cuts, it would have lined up better. Also, the bit wandered through the blank due to the weeknesses created by the intitial segments. Anyway, I like how it turned out even though the checkers are not quite perfect. If I know my sister, she will love it.

The wood is Wenge and Purple heart. BLO / CA finish. As always with Wenge, a lot of CA to make it smooth. Dang that Grain!

segment.jpg

Cheers.
James

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hobby_dale

Awesome job James! I like the choice of hardware color to go with the wood. Dark was a great choice. Keep up the good work and us posted on the success.

Fangar

Thanks guys. I really like this pen. I am not sure whether I will do the drilling first next time or not. It didn't seem to help really as far as aligment of the pattern. Thanks for all of the comments. I have another idea that might work, but I will try it before I post it. If it does, it might help to get others involved in trying a segment.

James

53Jim

If your sister doesn't like it, I'll take it. I think it's a very good looking pen. That segmenting stuff is a P.I.T.A., but the end result is usually worth it.

Great job.

Fangar

Thanks Jim. The funny thing is, I sent her about 10 photos of pens that I have done recently. Without prompting, she said that she liked the segment the best. I knew it!
[:)]
James

woodguy1975

Nice work. I do like the wood combintation.

You might want to try glueing up the segments and then drilling. At least it is easier for me. I just chuck mine up on the lathe after the glue has set and drill it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom