Wabi-sabi

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from azamiryou

azamiryou

Nothing is perfect, nothing is permanent -- and that is beautiful.

Wabi-sabi is a Japanese word made from the characters for "quiet refinement" and "rust". It is an aesthetic centered on the acceptance of transience, evoking a sense of serene melancholy and a spiritual longing.

This is my take on it.

The bamboo wood is evocative of Asia. The "bamboo" shape turned into it helps bring out the grain pattern (which is rather bland in a straight turning from straight-cut bamboo). Bamboo has been used for construction for ages, and thus has a rustic feeling to me.

I did not sand the blank after turning, leaving the tool marks visible. With use, both the woodturner's finish on the wood and the 24k plating on the fittings should wear quickly.

It is my hope that as the marks of use build on the marks of construction, a new beauty will emerge - the beauty of imperfection and impermanence.

Attachments

• wabi-sabi-main.jpg
    wabi-sabi-main.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 347
  • wabi-sabi-toolmarks.jpg
    wabi-sabi-toolmarks.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

Well, the pen looks great, and your story certainly lends toward selling it. If you try to sell it, be sure to include the story!

MartinPens

Nice design. I like it a lot.
When I look at it I am wondering if the peak of each section lends itself to a soft line. The sections of bamboo have a slight joining section. For me that would really complete the design.
Very well done. I would like to try this.

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Top Bottom