2006827221211_P1.jpg

2006827221230_p2.jpg

</center>

Chuckie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
This is funny, just tonight I did something that looks very similar! Different, but similar ;-) If I get to take a picture I'll shoot you a copy.

Is yours again a groove cut, with something (let me guess: sheet styrene?) glued-in?

Chuck Key

Originally posted by scubaman
<br />This is funny, just tonight I did something that looks very similar! Different, but similar ;-) If I get to take a picture I'll shoot you a copy.

Yes, send a picture, would certainly be interested in viewing what you are up to.

Originally posted by scubaman
<br />Is yours again a groove cut, with something (let me guess: sheet styrene?) glued-in?

Yes, used the groove technique again and yes it is sheet styrene [:D] The styrene is much easier to deal with compared to steam bending the wood strips as previously shown.

Everyone else, I appreciate the supportive comments.

Chuckie

Chuck Key

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />Perhaps erroneously, I am under the impression that styrene is difficult to glue?? What did you use and have you tried others that did not work?? Thanks.

This is the third pen I have made using styrene all glued with CA. The CA seems to disolve a layer of the styrene then the glue and the styrene cure as quickly as normal ca glue application. Have not tried any other glue types so no experience there.

I started putting a ca finish on the pen but eventually removed most of the ca from the surface because I did not like the way it looked. I then put on two coats of spray Deft. The Deft would not stick to the styrene and could be pealed or scraped off with my finger nail. Ended up sanding off most of the deft then buffing what was left with white diamond compound and a coat of wax. Based on that I think you are correct. Some glue may not work as expected on styrene.

Chuckie

baldysm

Depends on what you mean by "difficult to glue". Styrene is used in model kits (I believe) which are meant to be glued together with a modeller cement. Some materials - just about any glue will do a decent job on. Other materials, such as plastics, require you to be more picky about what you use to glue them.

Elmer's white glue is a great glue, if you use it on the right materials. Totally sucks on other materials, such as styrene.

btboone

As Scott says, it's a soft plastic normally used in model airplanes because it is cheap and molds under low pressure. It can be glued with acetone or other solvents. Hobby shops sell it in sheets of varying thicknesses for use in model making and other applications. In thin sections it's pretty flexible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom