Vinyl Wrapped Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mwhatch

mwhatch

Since I started making pens I have always wondered if anyone uses a craft vinyl cutter to personalize or embellish their pens. So I decided to give it a try. I have tried casting a tube with a vinyl appliqué with limited success. On these pens, I have wrapped the tube with one color to build it up, then apply the cut pattern and finish with CA. The first picture is a Gatsby wrapped in gold with a black pattern wrap. The next one is an Apprentice Classica wrapped in gold with a merlot(wine) pattern wrap. Then a Sierra wrapped in silver with a red pattern wrap. The last picture is a sample of some cut patterns ready to apply.

The vinyl can also be used on a standard turned pen for a name or logo or whatever. Just apply over the turned blank before CA finish.

What do you think, should I persue this, or are they to common looking.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• DSCI0041.jpg
    DSCI0041.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 494
  • DSCI0042.jpg
    DSCI0042.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 398
  • DSCI0045.jpg
    DSCI0045.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 399
  • DSCI0049.jpg
    DSCI0049.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 348
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mwhatch

I put the clip over the seams. I also cut a scalloped edge as shown in the original post pictures, to add to the design if seen. Usually the seam is barely visible if at all except I cut a couple of my pattern wraps to short so you can see a tiny spot between the scallops. Here is a picture of the seam areas. Ignore the reflections and dust spots.

Thanks

Morton

Attachments

• DSCI0052.jpg
    DSCI0052.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 303

mwhatch

Thanks for the feedback. The vinyl is 2.5 or 3 mil (0.0025" or 0.003"). I l ike to make 1 straight roll to build up the blank then on layer for the pattern. I have enjoyed working with this and have a lot of ideas I hope to try.

Thanks
Morton

OOPS

The best way to determine if its worth your while to continue experimentation in this way is to show the pens to friends of yours. See how they react. If people offer to purchase them, you know you're on to something. I like the looks of them, personally.

vanngo5d

Those look really good. How would it look if you put a solid color on the tube first then the pattern on top.
Question when you tried casting did you do after a couple of coats of ca. That should protect it from the ca reaction.

Don Vann

Top Bottom