Vintage style FP (no bands)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
George (texatdurango) sent these blanks, probably two months ago.:redface: Thank you George. Finally got around to turning them into some semblance of a pen. #5 Bock nib. Custom brass finial, and decided to fore go the bands on this one. I think there should be one at the bottom of the cap. The barrel finial is ebonite. I still struggle with polishing this stuff. Even following directions from friends. Need a little more practice with it. Expensive learning curve though. Any advise on the photos suddenly appearing grainy? Thanks all, for comments, and for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_1257.JPG
    IMG_1257.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_1258.JPG
    IMG_1258.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_1259.JPG
    IMG_1259.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1261.JPG
    IMG_1261.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_1262.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 214
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

I need to vist, I'll even buy the Cuban Sandwiches... Of course you'll have to spend hours upon hours showing me over and over ..........................:redface::redface::redface::bulgy-eyes::bulgy-eyes:

Brooks803

Very nice Chuck! I kinda like it just the way it is. If you had to add anything to it I think a single thick band at the end of the cap would be nice.

76winger

George (texatdurango) sent these blanks, probably two months ago.:redface: Thank you George. Finally got around to turning them into some semblance of a pen. #5 Bock nib. Custom brass finial, and decided to fore go the bands on this one. I think there should be one at the bottom of the cap. The barrel finial is ebonite. I still struggle with polishing this stuff. Even following directions from friends. Need a little more practice with it. Expensive learning curve though. Any advise on the photos suddenly appearing grainy? Thanks all, for comments, and for looking.

My first guess is your camera was set on automatic settings and switched to a higher ISO setting (as evidence by the post below your original one). If you changed to a higher f-number to get a smaller aperture (which provides more depth of field), the camera has to adjust by increasing the shutter speed or the ISO setting, or both. And it looks like you may have been photographing under low levels of light which would have caused the camera to compensate even more.

This is generally why some photographers prefer using manual settings. That way the ISO can be set to the desired value, The aperture set to gain the DOF wanted, and the shutter speed allowed to go slower to accommodate the lighting. Usually a tripod is needed due to shutter speed being very slow to keep the other settings where we want them. I hope this helps!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice Chuck. I agree with you in that I think it needs a band or two.
Thanks Derek. It doesn't hurt to try different looks, I suppose.

Looks fine from here.
Thank you Bruce.

Chuck,
Looks fantastic.
Thanks Cris.

Great looking pen!
Thank you sir.

Looks good Chuck. I like the clip too.

Mike
Thanks Mike.

I need to vist, I'll even buy the Cuban Sandwiches... Of course you'll have to spend hours upon hours showing me over and over ..........................:redface::redface::redface::bulgy-eyes::bulgy-eyes:
Roy, whatever it takes to get a Cuban sandwich. Come on down. I got hooked when we were in Clearwater, a couple of weeks ago. Thanks a lot! :redface:

Over all your getting very good at this.
Thanks Mike, I'd rather be over all, than not at all.

Very nice Chuck! I kinda like it just the way it is. If you had to add anything to it I think a single thick band at the end of the cap would be nice.
Thanks Jonathon. Kind of what I was thinking. I'll just have to make another pen sometime. :wink:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Personally, I like it just as it is. Simply, handsomely beautiful!
Thank you Cathy Sue, and glad to have you back.

Again nice work Chuck, your becoming a regular Sensai....
Thanks Lupe. That title kind of scares me.:biggrin:

My first guess is your camera was set on automatic settings and switched to a higher ISO setting (as evidence by the post below your original one). If you changed to a higher f-number to get a smaller aperture (which provides more depth of field), the camera has to adjust by increasing the shutter speed or the ISO setting, or both. And it looks like you may have been photographing under low levels of light which would have caused the camera to compensate even more.

This is generally why some photographers prefer using manual settings. That way the ISO can be set to the desired value, The aperture set to gain the DOF wanted, and the shutter speed allowed to go slower to accommodate the lighting. Usually a tripod is needed due to shutter speed being very slow to keep the other settings where we want them. I hope this helps!
Thanks Dave, I admit, I've been avoiding the manual settings, and sticking with the auto button. I'll spend some time getting the right settings. Very much appreciated.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_d
Thanks Lupe. That title kind of scares me.

Perhaps he meant "senseless" Chuck

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I like it, Chuck. But you've spoiled me, with all those wonderful bands that you make. I miss them.
Thanks Andy. Don't worry, there will be more bands. :biggrin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_d
Thanks Lupe. That title kind of scares me.

Perhaps he meant "senseless" Chuck
I would be more accustomed to that one :biggrin:

I love that material, Chuck. Looks super with the black section. IMO, bands not necessary on this one.
Thanks Robert. It's all a matter of taste, I guess. I do prefer the bands though.

drgoretex

I'm definitely in the 'bands -no band, whatever' camp. I am absolutely loving your cool Pelikan-like banded pens you have been making, but I have to admit, I also really like the clean look of an unbanded pen. Your pens are awesome either way, and this one is no exception.

Cheers

Ken

SDB777

ISO around 800? :eek: Second set much better.

Not use to seeing your turnings without accent rings, but they still are outstanding!

Scott (brass finial is awesome) B

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I'm definitely in the 'bands -no band, whatever' camp. I am absolutely loving your cool Pelikan-like banded pens you have been making, but I have to admit, I also really like the clean look of an unbanded pen. Your pens are awesome either way, and this one is no exception.

Cheers

Ken
Thank you Ken. I have been looking at another Pelikan, and am anxious to get started on that one. I appreciate your opinions.

ISO around 800? :eek: Second set much better.

Not use to seeing your turnings without accent rings, but they still are outstanding!

Scott (brass finial is awesome) B
Thank you Scott. I'll be trying out some pics using the Manual setting today. I appreciate your input as well.

wizard

Beautiful pen Chuck!! I love the way the ebonite, I'm assuming on both ends, "frames" and accentuates the beautiful blank portion of the barrel. Now I have to learn custom bands...custom barrel finials..custom cap finials..and clips...to keep up with you..Arrrggghhhh..:eek:
OK....That's it!!! I'm coming to Florida...you guys are truly having way too much fun..:wink:
But seriously..You have a lot of pen making stars and learning opportunities in a small geographic area and I'm jealous!!!:redface:
Regards,
Doc

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Beautiful pen Chuck!! I love the way the ebonite, I'm assuming on both ends, "frames" and accentuates the beautiful blank portion of the barrel. Now I have to learn custom bands...custom barrel finials..custom cap finials..and clips...to keep up with you..Arrrggghhhh..:eek:
OK....That's it!!! I'm coming to Florida...you guys are truly having way too much fun..:wink:
But seriously..You have a lot of pen making stars and learning opportunities in a small geographic area and I'm jealous!!!:redface:
Regards,
Doc
Thank you so much Doc, for the compliments. You know? It's just a matter of stepping into it. The information is here, and so are we. All will be glad to help, and you don't have to make a trip, unless you really want to. We're all having fun, except Redburn :biggrin: Just joking. I can tell he's having fun, every time he has some smart a$$ remark to make. :biggrin:

Doc, the cap and, section are Georges PR material. The only ebonite is the barrel finial.

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
New photos

I just couldn't let this pen go with those lousy photos. George would be disappointed to say the least. So, I spent some time learning about my camera (Canon A560), and got some photos, that are a LITTLE better.

Attachments

• IMG_1274.JPG
    IMG_1274.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1275.JPG
    IMG_1275.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 97

Texatdurango

We'll I'm back home where I have decent internet access now so can actually spend some time reading posts and looking at photos!

I like the overall shape and think some pens need bands and rings and some don't, this one works well without.

Brass and gold plated parts though.........I dunno!:rolleyes:

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
I did some quick reading, and found the ISO setting got switched to HIGH. These are a little better.

That was going to be my suggestion. With digital, it is referred to as "noise" which are artifacts that appear as "film grain" !:biggrin: Standard recommendation, assuming you have enough light, is to shoot at around 80 to 200 ISO. Anyway, uze got it figgered out an dats all dat matterz! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

AND Nice pen!

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
We'll I'm back home where I have decent internet access now so can actually spend some time reading posts and looking at photos!

I like the overall shape and think some pens need bands and rings and some don't, this one works well without.

Brass and gold plated parts though.........I dunno!:rolleyes:
Thank you George. When I get caught up, I'll make up some finials and stuff to send off for plating. Glad you're home safe, and have plenty to keep you busy. :biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I did some quick reading, and found the ISO setting got switched to HIGH. These are a little better.

That was going to be my suggestion. With digital, it is referred to as "noise" which are artifacts that appear as "film grain" !:biggrin: Standard recommendation, assuming you have enough light, is to shoot at around 80 to 200 ISO. Anyway, uze got it figgered out an dats all dat matterz! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

AND Nice pen!
Yeh, working out for now anyway. Thanks. Never get too much help.:biggrin:

Top Bottom