Vintage Style FP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
This took awhile to get everything I needed to make this pen i.e. taps, converter etc. Thanks to Mike Redburn & George Butcher, for their guidance. It's done, and I'll now be able to continue making these. The nib is a Heritance (small) from Indy-Pen-Dance. Thanks Mike and Linda, for your inspiration. I like the vintage style of pens. The finial, and trim rings are brass which, I turned on the metal lathe, as was the rest of the pen. This was a lot of fun. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_1093.JPG
    IMG_1093.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_1094.JPG
    IMG_1094.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_1095.JPG
    IMG_1095.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_1096.JPG
    IMG_1096.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1097.JPG
    IMG_1097.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

Texatdurango

Chuck, It's pens like this that keeps me visiting the SOYP forum. Really well done! I can appreciate the time it took to make the finial and the brass accent rings at the bottom.

I especially like the subtle pattern in the burgundy blank. Most of the vintage pens I have encountered have a similar look while most of the newer blank makers are going for the wildest combinations they can get.

IPD_Mr

Holy Toledo! Chuck that is your BEST work to date. That is PMG quality in my eye. We need to talk. That is very similar to a Pelikan M320 ruby Red but with a black cap like the red striated ones. This is flippin awesome.

Mapster

Wow! That definitely is your best pen to date. I saw the pictures of the vintage pens and this is RIGHT ON! Very well done, the only thing I would recommend would be to recess the nib lip, but very well done. Can't wait to see it!

BSea

That really is a beautiful pen. It's one of the few kitless pens I've seen that looks like it would appeal to the masses. I think it has just the right amount of brass accents. The kitless pens I've shown to non penmakers don't seem to like them as much as a basic jr. Gent fountain pen. I know that the members here can appreciate the time & effort that it takes to make a kitless pen. But I think the metal couplers & centerbands appeal more to the masses. That's been my experience (although I admit that it's pretty limited). YMMV

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Ya done good Chuck That is a sweet combination with that color red. Where did you get the blank? Did you paint the tubes?

hewunch

Chuck, WOW! I believe I would have saved that for the Beautiful Pen Contest next month. Great work!

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
Chuck.. You did a great job on that pen!!!! I have been gathering parts for the past month to make my first kitless FP. So I will be asking questions to people when I get
hung up on something. By the way, with your help my finish has improved 100%.

D.Oliver

WOW!!! I agree with Mike about PMG quality and with Hans about at least the beatiful pen contest....that is unless you're holding something better back.

mrburls

Beautiful work Chuck. I really like the looks of your finial, the brass really adds to the look. Red resin is also awesome color. Did you mix it yourself?

Keith "mrburls"

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Awesome !! I really like the look. For me, this is one of the most appealing pens I have seen on this forum.
I appreciate the kind words. Thank you!

Excellent !!!!:good::good::good:
Thanks Steven!:biggrin:

Chuck, It's pens like this that keeps me visiting the SOYP forum. Really well done! I can appreciate the time it took to make the finial and the brass accent rings at the bottom.

I especially like the subtle pattern in the burgundy blank. Most of the vintage pens I have encountered have a similar look while most of the newer blank makers are going for the wildest combinations they can get.
Thank you George. I may have found a new direction. I appreciate your help.

Holy Toledo! Chuck that is your BEST work to date. That is PMG quality in my eye. We need to talk. That is very similar to a Pelikan M320 ruby Red but with a black cap like the red striated ones. This is flippin awesome.
Thanks Mike. It was your post of the Pelikan Flock that, inspired me to try this one. Good move by both of us, Huh?:biggrin:

Wow! That definitely is your best pen to date. I saw the pictures of the vintage pens and this is RIGHT ON! Very well done, the only thing I would recommend would be to recess the nib lip, but very well done. Can't wait to see it!
Thanks Marshall. I thought about that recess for the feed shoulder, but it was 2:00 A.M. I'll fix it :wink:

That really is a beautiful pen. It's one of the few kitless pens I've seen that looks like it would appeal to the masses. I think it has just the right amount of brass accents. The kitless pens I've shown to non penmakers don't seem to like them as much as a basic jr. Gent fountain pen. I know that the members here can appreciate the time & effort that it takes to make a kitless pen. But I think the metal couplers & centerbands appeal more to the masses. That's been my experience (although I admit that it's pretty limited). YMMV
Thank you, and I agree. This gives a little more to the kitless, IMO.

Ya done good Chuck That is a sweet combination with that color red. Where did you get the blank? Did you paint the tubes?
Thanks Mike, and I appreciate your help too. I really don't remember who sent me this blank. The tubes are painted with VANISHING PAINT :biggrin::biggrin: You can't even see them :biggrin:

Chuck, WOW! I believe I would have saved that for the Beautiful Pen Contest next month. Great work!
Thanks Hans. I'm still making pens. So.....there's still time :wink::biggrin:

Chuck if you are still flexible enough, pat yourself on the back.
Thanks Pete! LOL, it hurts me to shave :redface: I got a Pat from Susanne though:biggrin:

glycerine

Wow! Very nice! I like the fact that you actually have metal parts besides the clip and nib, like the usual "kitless" pens. The finial and rings just add an extra touch of class... just one more reason to get a metal lathe!

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Looks like another kitless war is about to flare up....:biggrin::biggrin:
:biggrin: Bring it!!:biggrin:

Stunning pen. I'm speechless for anything else to say.
Thanks Carl!

Chuck.. You did a great job on that pen!!!! I have been gathering parts for the past month to make my first kitless FP. So I will be asking questions to people when I get
hung up on something. By the way, with your help my finish has improved 100%.
Thanks Frank! Glad to hear you're stretching it out. Anytime you need anything friend. Let us know.

WOW!!! I agree with Mike about PMG quality and with Hans about at least the beatiful pen contest....that is unless you're holding something better back.
Thanks Derek! I'm nowhere near PMG, but that has a nice ring to it!:biggrin: I will probably have an entry for the contest.:wink:

Beautiful work Chuck. I really like the looks of your finial, the brass really adds to the look. Red resin is also awesome color. Did you mix it yourself?

Keith "mrburls"
Thanks Keith! I don't remember who sent me the blank. There are several possibilities, and I'm afraid to take a guess, and offend one of my friends.

Chuck,
That ONE sweet looking pen. The brass turned pieces are fantastic, they really show that baby off. Well done.
Thanks Cris! This is all YOUR fault, you know? I let you talk me into going by Mike Rouxs house. It was over with after that :biggrin::biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

OKLAHOMAN

Chuck, thats............................................words escape me...as I pick my jaw off the floor.

Last edited:

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Great looking pen my friend. I'm also pretty sure that the blank came from Hillbilly Country:biggrin:.

BradG

Chuck, im very impressed. that pen is brilliant, and i can see the thought and planning which went into this one... you pulled it off perfectly

BigShed

That's a beauty Chuck, well done mate. As others ahve said, PMG here you come!

One question, did you make the clip, if so WOW, if not where did that come from?

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck, thats............................................words escape me...as I pick my jaw off the floor.
Awww....shucks Roy! It's just a pen :biggrin: Thank you sir!:wink:

Great looking pen my friend. I'm also pretty sure that the blank came from Hillbilly Country:biggrin:.
Ernie!! You ARE the man! :biggrin: I now remember, a couple of weeks ago, taking it out of the box you sent me. Thank you pal!

Chuck, im very impressed. that pen is brilliant, and i can see the thought and planning which went into this one... you pulled it off perfectly
Thank you Brad! It was a bit of a challenge.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
That's a beauty Chuck, well done mate. As others ahve said, PMG here you come!

One question, did you make the clip, if so WOW, if not where did that come from?
Thank you Fred! Always appreciate your compliments. Far away from PMG, but I'll keep making these things.:biggrin:

The clip is one of an assortment from Jon Piper (GoodTurns) I believe he told me they are Statesman or Gent clips.

RichF

Chuck,

Really great execution on the pen. I really like the way you brought the brass into the pen. I look forward to seeing more.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Wow! Very nice! I like the fact that you actually have metal parts besides the clip and nib, like the usual "kitless" pens. The finial and rings just add an extra touch of class... just one more reason to get a metal lathe!
Thanks Jeremy! Comments are appreciated.

Chuck,

Really great execution on the pen. I really like the way you brought the brass into the pen. I look forward to seeing more.
Thanks Rich. The brass idea worked out for me. There will be more similar pens.

SDB777

Was just wondering what size taps/dies you used, the blank material, and any other 'bones' you'd like to throw to this old dog?:biggrin:

Really like that you used two different colored blanks to show everything off! Bet it won't be long and some big old company will copy your design and want $95/kit for 'em(hope you get the percentage)!!!

Scott (big thumbs up) B

rej19

It must be that warm weather agreeing with you! As I look out my office window with our first winter storm (a small one) coming in. Looks great!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Wow very nice pen. I like the two blanks you used on it.
Thanks Craig.

That is one of the best looking pens I have seen in a while.
Thanks Ryan.

Chuck, awesome pen! Not to take away from the rest of it but the brass work is great!

Mike
Thanks Mike. To hear YOU say awesome, means a lot.:biggrin:

Was just wondering what size taps/dies you used, the blank material, and any other 'bones' you'd like to throw to this old dog?:biggrin:

Really like that you used two different colored blanks to show everything off! Bet it won't be long and some big old company will copy your design and want $95/kit for 'em(hope you get the percentage)!!!

Scott (big thumbs up) B
Thanks Scott. I used the 12mm triple start for the cap & barrel. The finial and end piece are 8 x .75mm. Actually, the two colors are used by Pelikan Pens :biggrin:

It must be that warm weather agreeing with you! As I look out my office window with our first winter storm (a small one) coming in. Looks great!
Thanks Ron. You'd be surprised what warm weather can do during the right time of year. Wish I could be there for a snow storm:rolleyes:

Very well done Chuck! thanks for sharing!
Thank you Seamus!:biggrin:

Really nice looking pen!
Thanks Toni!:biggrin: It's appreciated.:wink:

Lenny

My very first reaction, before actually reading the post, was "where did he get that finial cap"? I LOVE IT!
Everything works well together with this pen! Excellent!

Top Bottom