Vintage Stamp Decoupage Majestic 3x

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiset1

wiset1

So this is something I've wanted to do since I first started turning pens a little over a year ago. The Stamp Decoupage...! The first couple of times I tried it the resin did crazy things to the stamps and I ended up trashing the blanks. With some trial and error I was able to find a system that worked for me.

These are vintage stamps that I HOPE are not worth millions of dollars. Anyway, 3 Majestics polished to a glass finish. I can now say that I've done them and move onto something different:)

6267878768_186635d78c_z.jpg

6267878726_c858750854_z.jpg

6267353459_367976c75b_z.jpg

6267878672_faa2b81142_z.jpg

:biggrin:Enjoy, and as always you can see larger images on my IAP Members Gallery or my Flickr gallery linked below.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Live2Dive

These are crazy cool! I have a huge box of old stamps as well and have thought about doing something like this. What was the problem you were having with the resin? How did you fix the problem? Care to share so that maybe I don't do the same wrong thing?

wiset1

Always fun to share ideas...

I sanded up the tubes like usual then used scotch adhesive glue to adhere the stamps. Once finished curing about 24 hours I pour thin CA over the stamps, let dry and then do a second and third coat. I let that cure and gas off for 48 hours to be safe. once dry I heat the resin and pour into the saver mold.

The problem I was having was that I used ModPodge over the stamps and clouded the resin and the resin ate through the layer and made some of the stamps bleed. It was crazy! I'm sure a million people have done it the same way and never had an issue, but it just didn't work for me so I opted to seal it all with CA and do away with the Mod Podge. Hope that helps.

wiset1

It's the camera...not me, ha ha ha. Nikon D300 with a little PS to clean up the lighting. Thanks

wiset1

Yea, I was busy doing these to weeks ago and while I was on the road for work my kits arrived so today I had time to put them all together. I hope to post two more pens tomorrow. ;-)

Well I have looked at all your posts today (I think) and the are all outrageously cool pens. The one I like the most though is the one with the colored crystals in it. To me it looks awesome and the distortion around the crystals just makes it all that much better.
I have tried paper products under resin and I just cannot get anything to come out looking good, I will have to try what you did on the stamps. Maybe I will have some luck.

ToddGregory

Very nice looking pens. I have my grandfathers stamp collection and have thought about doing pens like this for my family so everyone would have a piece of the collection.

Todd

wiset1

I want to thank everyone for the kind word. If anyone wants to try this I would highly suggest that they try it first with stamps that are in so/so condition. Do not use your BEST ones for your first try. Things have a way of screwing up, so work with it a little before you find what works for you and your local conditions....then use the good stuff.

Brooks803

I want to thank everyone for the kind word. If anyone wants to try this I would highly suggest that they try it first with stamps that are in so/so condition. Do not use your BEST ones for your first try. Things have a way of screwing up, so work with it a little before you find what works for you and your local conditions....then use the good stuff.

Oh now where's the fun in that! I always use the best on my experimental trials :rolleyes::tongue: Just incase they don't totally come out horrible :cool: Again...Great work Tim. You're showing some amazing talent here and it really is inspiring.

wiset1

Thanks Jonathon....youtube and the IAP members inspired these pens. Plus I have a couple thousand stamps sitting in an old cigar box collecting dust. Had to do something with them.

wiset1

I've had a lot of PM's about these pens and truth is, this is a fairly easy process. PSI has a good video on youtube that can get you started, but instead of turning wood and then attaching the stamps I do it directly on the tube and cast. Much easier that way I think.

Top Bottom